Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my first hunt. Went Dayton, Wy and around from there and into Montana. It was only a 2 day hunt and the first day was a little slow, probably only fired a hundred rounds of 22WMR and 22LR. I used my 922M on the longer shots and my 39A on the closer shots. The second day was spent in Montana and was shooting as fast as you want. I had 10 clips of 22WMR and would fire them all, do a slow reload of the clips while the dogs got their nerve back, and then do it all again. I had taken 700 rounds and if the first days hunting would have been like the second I would have ran out of ammo. I would like to do it again next year if possible. The first day I had 3 adult pronghorn antelope and 2 youngsters walk by me within 75 yards. We looked at each other for awhile and then they moved on. The wind was in my favor so they couldn't smell me and I must not have looked like a threat to them. I could have taken them with either of the 22s. I don't know why Marlin stopped production of the 922M, it is real tack driver and can get it done to 150 yards if there is no wind to drift the round.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I use my dad's old Model 783 marlin in 22mag for PDs too. It likes the Remington 33gr Vmax. Much more fun than the centerfires to me. It could be because I grew up in Texas shooting small game and such with a 22/22mag, but in Utah, there are no grey/fox squirrels, the cottontails are nasty, Jackrabbits few and far between, and so are the PDs. Glad you had a good time, hope you didn't get heat exhaustion reloading those clips! :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts