Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Riflemanz,

What an unbelievable price!!

Decide on loose powder or pellets. I use pellets. Projectiles, I use Powerbelts. Lubricant, I use Bore Butter because I use Hodgen pellets. Triple Seven pellets you just need water or spit. Cleaning patches. 209 Primers and a capper/decapper if it is not supplied with the rifle. Get a bore brush and a swab. Cleaner, either hot soapy water, Moose Milk etc. Breech plug grease, most likely a Lithium based.

That will get ya started real good and have fun!!

Oh yeah...a coonskin cap :lol:

Dave :)

p.s. Greybeards has a GREAT inline muzzle loader forum.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Riflemanz
I have been hearing alot baout the powerbelt bullets.How do you like them? I guess I am old fasioned, I am still useing the old plains bullet.The 385 gr buffalo bullet with a 100 gr. of powder. :wink: .

G

·
Lets see my first ML was a T/C White Mountain Carbine , which was followed a year later by the T/C Thunderhawk. Same year I had the Thunderhawk I made THE MOVE and got my first Knight ,it was what they called the Black Knight a cheaper version of the MK85. The Knight was the first ML I got deer with. Well I thought I was satisfied, but they had to come out with the Disc rifle. So when the first Knight Disc hit the racks in VA I got one and it has served me well for 6 years. But the powder story during that period was terrible . I do not like Pyrodex or blackpowder....so I opted for the non sulfer based products. I used Black Canyon for awhile ,it was good to begin with then it had problems ,then they closed up. Next came clean shot loose which worked alright . Then I got another Disc in 45 cal to go with the 50. And started using cleanshot pellets. That would have been great ,but they were never consistant. So thank god the loose Triple Seven came out :!: Now I use 120grs of 777 and the 250gr Hornady SST in the 50 and 120grs 777 and the 200gr Hornady SST in the 45. Finally get this stuff worked out and walk in the gun store last week and what do I see ,the Knight REVOLUTION....It could be here we go again :!:

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Riflmanz-Congrats on the Muzzleloader.I got one in a trade last year and am a "Sooper Beginner" learning the hard way.triple seven is my next buy and I use my .454 bullets(300 Unicores and XTP's) in a Sabot for my .50 Cal Thompson Carbine.Very accurate but I have stuck sooooh many bullets from not knowing what I was doing and using the wrong powder.Now I have Bore Butter and as soon as the car is fixed I will be out again trying to master it.

Keep us informed as I am a novice Muzzleloader and don't mind admitting it.Live and learn.

Good luck to you.......Jayco

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not a bad price on that baby at all. I just bought my first modern muzzleloader a couple months back and love the heck out of it. I strongly recommend triple seven powder (either loose or pellets) because" (1) it's non-corrosive (2) it's as hot or hotter than BP and pyrodex (3) it doesn't go bad like pyrodex (4) it cleans up with water! I use the powder form becasue it's cheaper and does the same damn thing....also I don't find it any harder to pour in a vial of powder than I do to drop in the pellets. Not sure on bullets for the 45 cal, but I use Hornady XTPs in my 50 and love 'em. They really do a number inside a whitetail. As far as lube I use strictly Crisco inside and out. Whatever you use, make sure you wipe the excess from the bore with dry patch or swab prior to shooting (and clean the nipple!). A good test to see if the nipple is clear is to load only a cap and point the muzzle a few inches from the dirt and snap it. If the nipple is clear it will blow the dirt. This also serves to burn the extra oil from the breech plug that would otherwise souak your powder and block your spark. If you use plastic sabots, you'll need a bronze brush also. After every five or so shots, run the brush through a few times, then use both sides of one spit soaked patch followed by several dry ones. Cleaning as above you'll be able to shoot all day without experiencing difficult loading. When you get home just clean her up with hot soapy water and you're set for the next day. One more thing.....don't get too caught up on the "magnum"craze"....find an accurate load and stick with it. Despite the advertising hype, only so much powder will burn anyway.....the rest just ends up as more fouling. In my 50 cal I find that a 24 gr XTP over 90 grains of 777 will shoot three inch groups at 100 yards.....open sights/ kneeling position. Most importantly.....Have fun!

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been loading the powerbelt bullets with triple 7 pellets.Very easy to load and clean up is a breeze.I did buy a range rod.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cool. I have been thinking about trying the powerbelts in a heavyweight for hunting bear. Might have to try that......also, they say the plastic fouling is wayyyy less than with a full sabot.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
If anyone is having problems with inline breech plug removal after shooting heavy loads of T7, here's a method that works excellent that I would like to share, thanks go to Sabotloader. I've been using the TC tape, works great, the plug comes out as easy as it went in. I've also used the standard white plumbing teflon tape and have read that the yellow gas line tape works too. For those that don't feel the necessity of removing the breech plug at each cleaning, beware, if you don't do that, there's a good chance it will never come out if you leave it in long enough.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=223146&highlight=#223146
http://tcarms.com/mlaccessories/cleaning/7148.php

·
Registered
87 Posts
breech plug grease

I use what a lot of the "old timers" used. Lard. It keeps my breech plugs easy to remove. Just rub it into the threads and screw it in tight. No freeze up. I use 777 mostly in heavy charges for plinking nad deer hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts