Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

G'day

Finally found "THE ONE" and put a deposit on it today. No longer just a viewer here.

A 2nd hand, as new, unfired, Marlin .45 Colt Cowboy 24" for $AUS990. It has checkered woodwork, but beggars can't be choosers. Only 20"ers available in Australia now so it's old stock or used only. The cheapest new one I've come across lately was $AUS1195 and rare.

Have 8weeks to finalise the transaction, get a 'Permit to Aquire'$20, and pick it up. Can't wait !

MMMMM...........now :? ...........iron, tang, foolproof or ghost ring sights? 8)

Mucus

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Mad Mucus ,I'm real glad you can still own such a fine weapon as that. I'd like to find me one of them .45's myself.Good Luck.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
39 Posts
Marlin Prices??

Hello,
Glad to hear that you found the Marlin you were looking for, but kind of shocked at the price of the rifle. I was in Australia some several years ago and heard that the price of autos were super high but was told that was due to import fees, tax, etc. Apparently same applies to firearms??

Just curious as to what the Australian dollar is equivalent to the U. S. Dollar?? Thanks,
dsiteman

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi Mad, congrats on the new rifle. I recently bought my second 94CB in .45. Both have the checkered wood. As for which rear sight to use. That is totally a personal preference thing. But, in my opinion the only natural looking rear sight on an octagon barreled lever gun is a tang sight. Both my .45's have one, so does my .45-70CB, .22CB and my BRAND new .32Mag.CB. All are Lyman's except the .32 which sports a Marble's. This is my first Marble's but definitly not my last. The Lyman's are ok and a little cheaper but the Marble's is worth the extra dough.

C.S.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats Mad Macus! It's unfortunate that you have to jump through hoops and work so hard to own/posess a firearm but at least it's a Marlin!

Correct me if I'm wrong Mad, but I believe Aus$990 is about US$760.

I have to go with Carolina on sight question. Tang sight! My first lever action made by that other company I'm embarassed to admit (bought for $150 with a 1 minute waiting period while I counted out the cash) was almost immediately fitted with a lyman tang sight 15 years ago.

I have tang sights on almost all my Marlins.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

The Marbles Tang sight would be my choice, though I don't know how readily available they are here or at what price. Can they be used with standard front sights?

As to the Aussie (pronounced Ozzie :D ) dollar I think it is currently fetching approx $USD0.756

Ruger Blackhawk is currently around $AUD875.00 new
Marlin 336C " " " $AUD790.00+ new
Marlin '94PG " " " $AUD900.00+ new
Marlin '94C " " " $AUD850.00+ new

Mucus

·
Banned
843 Posts
MM, , , I'm going to say YES....you can use factory front sights with the tang sights, because the tang sight has alot of elevation adjustment [and the Marbles has windage adj.]; however that may not be the case with receiver mounted aperture sights. Anyway a nice front is the greenglow or orangeglow fiber optic front sights, although not oldtimey or period looking, they are certainly fast thru an aperture...Bang! Good luck with the new rifle..G'day.

.........................TM7

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Access to Owners Manual?

8)

Cupla' questions guys........

As the '94CB I'm currently buying is 2nd hand, where can I access an owners manual? Maybe an ADOBE site?

Can you identify the manufacture date from it's serial #99116858 ?

Mucus

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Re: Access to Owners Manual?

Mad Mucus said:
8)

Cupla' questions guys........

As the '94CB I'm currently buying is 2nd hand, where can I access an owners manual? Maybe an ADOBE site?

Mornin', sir - As to the ADOBE sight - I've not heard of that one.......Not exactly sure what it is. Marlin will be more than happy to send you an owner's manual, I'd say.

Can you identify the manufacture date from it's serial #99116858 ?

It was made in 2001 - subtract the first two digits of the serial from 100, and that will give the year of manufacture.

Shum8

Mucus

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shum8

Thankyou for the "year of manufacture" formula.

Much appreciated

Mucus

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another vote for Mables tang sights,try Rebel Gunworks.The dating formula works back to around '72,before that they used a letter prefix.HTH

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easy

Marbles now have an Australian Distributor on their site ............GOLDCOAST SHOOTING SUPPLIES.............. their 1st shipment hasn't arrived as yet, but a phone enquiry on their Peep Tang Sight price is $175.

Mucus

·
Banned
461 Posts
Congratualtions Mad Mucus on your purchase!

Marlin doesn't have any Adobe files on their website for customers, but that's a great idea!. I think you're onto something there. You'll have to call them or write to them to get you an owners manual. I don't know if their toll free phone number will work for you, but I'll give you both numbers (just in case) 800-544-8892 or their local number at (203) 239-5621. They should send you one for free, unless I'm mistaken.

Have fun shooting Roo's with that thing & Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which sight?

With regards to the question of sights, I have an 1895 and two 336s which both wear Lyman 66a receiver sights. These work great and I am acustomed to the sight picture. I recently purchased a 94CB in .45colt and will shortly pick up my 336CB in .38/55, which are not tapped for receiver mounted sights. In fact, I think installing them would obscure the serial number.

A previous poster on this thread said that tang sights are the way to go for the CBs. I am thinking of trying them, but these are hunting guns for me and I worry about losing zero if the sight gets bumped around. Also, I have heard (unverified) reports that the tang sights play havoc with the webbing of the hand between the thumb and index finger.

Any insights/opinions?

-Levernutt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts