Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased and picked up my first Marlin. It is a 1895G 45-70. Any advise on what ammo to use and what might be a good scope to put on it as well. Any advice and direction would be great in general.
I did purchase the rifle new as the selection of good used of anything these days is slim to none, especially it seems in my SoCal home.
I don't have any initial plans with it, but had always wanted the caliber in a lever gun and it makes my little collection so far a little more well rounded. The action is really tight, better than loose and falling apart, but is there something I can do there as well, I've worked on my R92 with great results.
I should add that I'm planning on reloading as well, I've been using a Dillon 550b for some time on my handgun loads, this will be my first rifle load, although it seems to be pretty much a huge handgun round in appearance.
Thanks in advance.
E

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

Reactions: Efin

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Oh boy, as a 45-70 dilettante, not gonna step on the ammo recommendation landmine. Most folks consider the Marlin rifles, as more of a brush rifle and either mount a peep sight or low powered scope, this being a 1.5X5 or 2X7, or fixed scope of not more 4x. This size scope balances the rifle well. Most floks also recommend mounting the scope as low as possible, and using the hammer extension if needed or by preference. Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! We're glad you've joined us! John

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Kansas!

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Congratulations on your first Marlin. You got a nice one when you got a 45/70 Great Guns.

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Hey there Efin, welcome to MO from a ways up North!

A 45-70? Way to... um... well... sheesh, anyway, welcome!:ahhhhh:

Brocky

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Super Moderator
16,614 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. I dun kilt 2 bars wiff my 45/70 rifle gun!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.