Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this at the gun (jail) show this weekend. It had to be free. It's my first marlin and first lever gun. I want to eventually use it for SASS, but now it will play at the range and be my camp fire gun. Have not been to the range yet. Quality fit and feel. Missing all the top screws so it wore a scope in an earlier life. Need to find a new set. Caliber is 44Mag. Born on Date is 1982, JM stamp is easy to read!

Paid $500.

Buying the first one is always the hardest right?

new marlin born on date.jpg new marlin for me.jpg

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Very nice rifle . I had one just like it . Gave it to my dad for coyotes. He loves it, done killed a few. Says it dose a job on them. Sent 2 boxes of bullets with it so he could play. It was hard to let it go but I still have my dad and he has gave me my first gun.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Very nice first one you have there. It's hard to stop at just one. Before you know it you'll be getting another one. Good luck with it.

:tee:

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is a fine piece of equipment. I have owned one for many years its a
great hog gun with hard cast bullets.
Never had any issues with that shooter.
With a scope a 200 yard shot is not out of the question.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
very nice...looking forward to seeing your targets....dont know if you reload or not but if not we can save you a little expense and tell you you'll probably get your best groups out of the White box Winchester 240's

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Nice looking 44 -- congrats! John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't reload, but was told the micro grove barrels don't like cast bullets. (Myth?) Some day though.. In the mean time No watermellon or 2 liter is safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
P.S. if you shoot 44spl. Out of it you will need to clean
the chamber real good before you switch to 44mag.
or you will have extraction problems.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Microgroove will shoot cast bullets very well if you make sure your bullets are .001 to .002 oversize.

And Marlins are like tater chips. You can't have just one.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I don't reload, but was told the micro grove barrels don't like cast bullets. (Myth?)
Yes, Myth...

Slug the bore, and size your bullets one or two thousandths over...Keep the lead medium to hard, and have at it...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
P.S. if you shoot 44spl. Out of it you will need to clean
the chamber real good before you switch to 44mag.
or you will have extraction problems.
Everyone says this but I have never had this problem, don't know why?

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
That is SWEEEEEET hangem!! you did good. now let us know how it shoots.:tee:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I`ve been playing with reloading for a .30-30 336 "Micro-Groove" for over a year.

I can only voice my experiance:

Using .308 diameter 165 gr. "Laser-Cast" flat nose bullets and both 4895 and 2400 with no "Gas-Checks", I`ve had problems with anything over 12.5grs of 2400 and have not loaded any 4895 under 24grs..(I would not be a bit nervous using these as Deer loads at 100yds here in Missouri).

I have found that my success has been using jacketed bullets of both 150 and 170gr. in FN. and 38grs. of 4895.

I`ve yet yo try any of the "fast burning" powders such as "bullseye" with which several people have had success.

I also have not had really good results loading any thing under .311 diameter in my .30-40 Krag.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I love the gun, but hate the Michael's clamp on type sling swivel. I take that off, and replace it with the rear barrel band type from Marlin. To me, they just look better, and don't twist the mag tube when used.

VerCoMo.......don't use Bullseye in a rifle case. It's not meant for it, and is dangerous. It is a very fast burning powder, and is meant for light handgun loads only. Read your loading manual, and stick with the powders listed for the cartridge. Anything outside of that might be very dangerous to you and your rifle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank everyone,

I've had a 39A on the brain for years now but they never show up for sale at the the big show here in Puyallup WA.

I've have my grandfather's Remington 341P for years. (Born on 1937.) The old war horses are indestructible and a joy to shoot.

I want to indulge in that next potato chip, a classic 39A. But given the sad state of Remlin now, I'll have to wait for an estate sale on Gun Broker. Don't tell my wife.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts