Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my first Marlin today for a great deal.

Marlin 336 30-30. Great condition for a '68. Can't wait to get to the range with it.

:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its a great looking rifle. you will be hooked on using it all the time. hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine. good shooting!!

nailer

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Looks like you hit the jackpot on that one. Very nice wood on that old gun.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice old scope. Nice wood. I have a '68 .35 that I unknowingly put a Nikon 4x "rimfire" scope on this fall.
Shoots very well in the 2" circle at 100.

·
Registered
515 Posts
ERock said:
Picked up my first Marlin today for a great deal.
If membership here is any indication, certainly not your last........................

Nice old gun ERock, great wood, vintage scope, great shape!! How will you be putting this fine rifle to use? ;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Is that an old Bushnell Banner, made in Japan? Those are pretty nice scopes. I have two with the post-dot reticle and they really show up well in the woods towards the evening hour.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abel said:
Is that an old Bushnell Banner, made in Japan? Those are pretty nice scopes. I have two with the post-dot reticle and they really show up well in the woods towards the evening hour.
Bushnell Banner x4 scope.

Gun will be used for range and deer hunting here in Michigan.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to getting it sighted in this weekend and putting some holes through some targets.

I get the occasional cowboy comments from friends and family that hunt now. But I have a feeling when they fire this gun, they're going to fall in love too. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow, Erok! That appears to a well-present example. Your fore-end wood reminds me of mine on my '76. I need to figure out how to post pictures on here so you can see because its like your rifle is an identical twin to mine in the woodgrain department.

I had one of those old Japanese Bushnell Banners. It was actually a darn nice scope, I thought.

I get the occasional "cowboy" comment, too. Usually, from my wife. She calls my 336 my "cowboy assault rifle."

That appears to be a very nice rifle and if you enjoy it even half as much as I've enjoyed mine over the years, you'll come to think of the money you spent to bring it home as money well spent, indeed.

Tele-Caster

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Welcome to MOs from NE Florida. That is one very pretty .30-30 outfit you've got there, and I like that vintage Banner scope. She'll be your faithful companion and make much meat for you.

It may be your first Marlin, but, if you're like some of us here, it certainly won't be your last. Marlinitis is an infectious and incurable disease that a lot of us, myself and my wife, Marla, included are afflicted with. And, we love it.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Congratulations on your first Marlin, she's a beauty! Welcome to MO's from Montana, lots of information shared here. DP

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Abel said:
I would replace the old swinging base/rings. I don't see how they could be 100% stable.
On the scope?

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

·
Registered
20,674 Posts
Congrats on the purchase..Beautiful wood and looks like she was a Safe Queen! Let us know how she shoots!

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Welcome and congrats on a Very Nice rifle!!

I have a ole 336 30-30 with the same tip-off scope mount that is on your rifle. Its a good mount, I've hunted with mine for over 30 years with out any problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts