Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, new to the forum from MN. Picked up this 1948 336A on another forum I’m on. It’s a great old gun, just wish it wasn’t D/T’d. It was an impulse buy and likely overpaid by a fair bit at $850. Lol. You don’t see too many of this vintage pop up for sale. I was contemplating removing the scope and putting on a Skinner Alaskan, but I not sure if I want to mess around with the front sight then too. Figured the Skinner would cover up the holes, but also the waffle top too. It has 6 holes tapped.

Has some honest wear but not really any rust that I can see. Bore looks clean. I plan on using it for a deer rifle and for whatever else. :).

I also have one of the new Ruger/Marlin 1895 SBL’s on order through my LGS. Excited for that one too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Diesel - welcome to MO and greetings from Ohio. With that barrel length, you'll be the .30/30 Velocity King of the blunt-nosed bullet crowd! If only that rifle could talk, I'd bet you'd hear some stories of downed deer.
I was thinking same. If only this thing could talk.

Can’t wait to get out and shoot it.

Thanks all for the welcome!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don’t honk you over payed in todays market… I really got lucky with both my 30-30 and my 35 in 336a… I bought my first 336a at a local pawn shop… I walked in went straight back to the used gun rack and found the lever actions and low and behold there was one rifle with the longer barrel I asked to see it and it was a waffle top 30-30 in what I would say excellent condition for a 1950 rifle…. The price tag was $350.00… the used gun area was pretty busy and there was this one guy just looking at me while I had the gun and I felt like he wanted to look at it to if I didn’t buy it… long story short… I killed two nice 8pts with it that fall…

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Nice rifle! I don’t think you oer paid for it either. Around here newer marlins with a safety button are being priced at $850 and some of them look like they’ve be drug down a gravel road. It’s a shame for sure that it has been drilled, and I surely wouldn’t do that to an unmolested one, but now that it’s been done it‘ll make a great one to hunt with.

I’d love to find one like it for myself!

The only thing I can see wrong with it from here is that RPP take down screw. I like a lot of their products, but those quick take down screws, nope, just can‘t get used to them.

What‘s the plastic thing hanging on the mag tube?

Reactions: Diesel79

·
Registered
702 Posts
You have a very nice first year 336A and it looks quite respectable for an almost 75-year-old rifle. Mine also is a '48, drilled and tapped, is a good shooter, but shows its age some. I found it at a pawn shop for a fair price a few years ago and I don't think the clerk knew what they had. I even had my cleaning rod to check what turned out to be a very shiny bore. Some of these old Marlins are very accurate. To me the novelty of having the first of these great rifles is worth some extra money to buy.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for sharing your fantastic rifle. I too wouldn’t have drilled one myself, but having it already done is a bonus in a way I think. If it were mine I would be searching for a more “vintage” scope. Something like an old steel tube Weaver.

We cringe when we see a drilled waffle top, forgetting that when that gun was new it was purchased to use, not collect.

Overpaid??? I don’t think so. Congratulations on finding a treasure.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome, and thanks for sharing your fantastic rifle. I too wouldn’t have drilled one myself, but having it already done is a bonus in a way I think. If it were mine I would be searching for a more “vintage” scope. Something like an old steel tube Weaver.

We cringe when we see a drilled waffle top, forgetting that when that gun was new it was purchased to use, not collect.

Overpaid??? I don’t think so. Congratulations on finding a treasure.

Dan
True, good way of looking at it for the d/t. Might as well enjoy a scope on it at this point! I’ll have to see if I can find a more vintage scope for a decent price.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Musical instrument Idiophone Font Wind instrument Wood

Reactions: REK

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
Beautiful rifle, wish they still made Marlin’s just like that.
Tony

Reactions: Diesel79
1 - 20 of 31 Posts