Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in a previous thread that I was planning on trying my hand at leatherwork, I finished my first project today. I decided to do a smaller project before I jumped into making a holster for my Ruger Blackhawk and I needed a new sheath for my old Gerber multitool, that nylon sheath just didn't hold up to 15 years of abuse. So here's what I started with:

The Multitool with it's original sheath, if you look close you'll see where the nose of the pliers punched a hole in the bottom.

I ordered an economy shoulder from Tandy leather as well as their basic hand stitching kit and a few other supplies.

I decided to wet form the sheath, I like that look better than the folded leather look. It was easier than I suspected once I figured out what I was doing.

I glued and stitched the belt loop on prior to gluing and stitching the front and back. Unfortunately I ended up with a little glue squeezing out from under the loop at both the top and bottom. I used the wrong glue, should have held off and bought some contact cement instead of using what I had. I used white thread for this project so I would be better able to see how the stitching was coming along and because I thought the contrast would look good. I like the look even though I wouldn't want to do that on every black project I do.

Once I stitched everything together I burnished the edges and put the finish on the whole thing. Used the Eco-Flo Satin Shene and then finished up with a little Johnson paste wax. I did all that last night but didn't have any snaps so I had to go out this morning and pick up some L24 snaps.

The finished product and it now resides on my belt full time. I'm very happy with the results and think it turned out very nice for my first attempt. I guess now I have no excuse for not making that holster for my blackhawk.

What I learned in the process is #1 buy the right glue, the stuff I had on hand was Loctite flexible adhesive which actually holds pretty well but it's very runny. #2 my stitching pony needs to go back in the shop, I put the clamping blocks on the arms with the grain running the wrong direction. This became an issue when I ran the stitching awl into the end of the clamp where it was very thin and split it right down along the grain. I'm not sure why I didn't see that coming when I built it but it's not a huge deal, just need to cut new blocks for it.

I have another Multitool that needs a new leather sheath (I'm thinking brown this time) but I haven't decided if that will be my next project or whether I'll go straight to the holster. I enjoyed this project quite a bit and found it quite relaxing since I was able to take my time with it. I'm proud of what I managed to turn out with own two hands even if it isn't perfect

Thanks for looking,

Stu

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Very nice, I've got that same tool and my brothers friend made me a sheath for it. I really like it but I think I'm gonna try making a new one that's a little smaller. I like the open top design that he made me, but it takes up alot of real estate on my belt Gun Firearm Everyday carry Trigger Handgun holster

That's it in the upper right hand corner.

Reactions: Stu925

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Fine job indeed and you learned the same lessons I daresay many of us have - me included. :)
Get the leather glue - even though it just looks like Elmers it works better for some reason. Be sparse - you just wanna hold it in place - not actually fasten down.
I find that a wooden block makes the best form when wet forming - unless you like that molded to every nook & cranny look. (I do for semi-auto pistolas)
There's a couple of good commentaries on the web about 6 shooter holsters. Best advice I got there was to make a welt for the trigger guard and reinforce the opening (which is actually good advice for any holster but particularly for revolvers).
You did exceptional work on the loop - nice stitching indeed.
I personally do not use the stitching pony for these small projects - it just seems to get in the way. But that may be just me.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Stu, you done good. As BubbaJon said I like to use a form. The following one was pretty ghetto fab but my single stack mag pouch mold does GREAT for most multi-tools.

Far as glue goes a lot of folks swear by DAP Weldwood (not the green can, the red one). I never had as good of results with it as I did with Barge so stuck with the original. Wood glue works pretty well but can be abrasive and dry's hard.

And PS: Shoot me a PM when you need more leather, and I'll sell you some of the W&C I keep on hand at a discount for you to try it. I'd bet you could tell a difference between the two pretty quickly.

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Nice job Stu!:tee:

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Very nice job. Especially for a start!

Sent from my MB886 using Outdoor Forums mobile app

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
That looks great Stu! First time out ya say. Are you sure yer not sanbaggin??:congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys I appreciate it. The idea of using an actual form is a great one, I don't know why it didn't occur to me, trying to form it around the multitool wasn't too bad but I can definitely see how a form would make it a bit neater. I'll have to throw together a quickie form when I do the next multitool sheath.

Eaglestroker, I know I've told you before you do beautiful work, and those magazine pouches are no exception, they look fantastic. I appreciate the offer on the leather, I'll keep it in mind when I start to get low. The economy single shoulder I bought worked pretty well and it's thick (7-9oz) which I like for this project. It's definitely no smooth though, it's got a few scars and blemishes but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a nice piece of leather just in case I screwed it up. I actually don't mind the blemishes, it gives the leather a bit of character. If I were trying to sell the end product I would definitely go to a better grade of leather though.

I think I've decided to do the holster next, I'm basing the design on an old George Lawrence holster that my father bought for a Colt SAA. The difference being the my holster won't have a retention strap but will have a hammer loop instead. Mine also won't have the fancy carvings of the Lawrence holster. I may start that project this week if I can get some time set aside between kids baseball games.

Thanks again for all the praise guys,

Stu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.