Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I say my first hunt trip ever?
It was a hog hunt with my two sons and I cannot say enough. I am not sure if I can post a link to another thread but while I found out...

This was a 336W from last year. I do not care what people say about the recent rifle. Here is what it has done. I have practiced with it so tha I can shooot a 6" group to about 50yds.
On this trip, did I mention this was my first ever hunting trip :) , Every person in the group commented on its beauty. After reviewing all the pictures of Hog anatomy (tough to find online), I got my chance and one shot the heart from about 35yds.

I could not be happier. I think this Marlin 336W is going to get personalized and will stay in the family.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Nice work, nothing better than that first succesful hunt. Congratulations!

Stu

·
Registered
569 Posts
Congrats on a successful hunt and welcome to MO!

·
Administrator
27,825 Posts
Now that is what it is all about! Congrats on your successful first hunt! :biggrin:

Another Marlin success story. Imagine that. :hmmmm:

Jack

·
Registered
330 Posts
35 yards through the heart, great job!!! Especially with the adrenaline running from your first hunt............But..........don't be a tease....... You need to give more details:

Bullet/load
Size of hog
What kind of cover, etc?
What happened after the shot?
Scope/irons?
How are you thinking of personalizing it?
Whats your sausage recipe??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
35 yards through the heart, great job!!! Especially with the adrenaline running from your first hunt............But..........don't be a tease....... You need to give more details:

Bullet/load
Size of hog
What kind of cover, etc?
What happened after the shot?
Scope/irons?
How are you thinking of personalizing it?
Whats your sausage recipe??
Good point -

Hornady was the point of order.

My sons had Hornady American Whitetail 30-30 150 gr RN.
I was using Leverevolution 30-30 160 gr FTX.

We didn't have an official weight. Mine and Alex's were at least 100. Chris's a little less. I have to admit afterwards and back at camp things were a bot of a flurry. I'm tlking a mile a minute and it took some time for the beer to settlt me down. :)

Mine shot was out in the open as I was along a ridge looking across a small stream. I had to shoot across to another ridge about 35 yards away. Both my sons found themselves chasing two at about the same time (makes you believe in providence) theirs had borrowed into some brush were they had their first learning experience going eyeball to eyeball at near point blank range. Only a handfull of yards.

Funny how they both commented that, while they basically locked eyes, they got a broadside shooulder shot (heart/lung). The pigs had hunkered down and looked askew at them. I am proud of the growth experience for both my boys. To have to step up and look them in the eye is a humbling moment.

This was not just a mindless kill. This was a moment in life.

We're looking forward to preparing the meat and while my wife and I enjoy my hog of the next few months. My sons are taking their two back to Gainesville and sharing with their friends. (Once the track down a good butcher).

Regarding targeting, this was all iron sights. All the talk about sight picture finds that that is the most memorable part of the shot to me. The sun was over my shoulder so the sight picture was the gold front sight. It was huge. In my mind, my entire vision was the rear sight with a perfectly center spot of gold. in completey covered the hog 35 yards away. Absolutely gigantic. My sons have earned the right to tell their story so they may post it later on our home forum. I'll update with a link if they do. As they're both in college, they are extremely busy.and a little burnt out. This trip is something they really needed to take their mind off of things. One is studying law and the other Economics.

To personalize the rifles, we talked about getting a font for the family name. Some sort of ornate 'G' to somehow place in on the rifle. It has to look distinguished and perhaps carve the wood or engrave the action.

Recipes? I have no idea. I'm on vacation this week and I think a lot of phone calls today and internet hunting is on order (when I'm not working on a couple of leaks around the house).

·
Premium Member
15,419 Posts
congrats on a successful hunt and good time spent with family

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Great story. Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Congratulations on a wonderful first hunt! :congrats:

·
Registered
198 Posts
There's something about a 'baptized' rifle. You'll have confidence in it and take and intangible pleasure in carrying it from now on.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Congratulations to you and your sons! I'm gonna have to get a hog hunt in soon, or I'll bust. DP

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hey Good, great story! Something you and your sons will talk about the rest of your lives. As me a the wife call it, "Makin' Memories"!

Welcome to MO from Mis'sipi.

Good Huntin', (pun not intended, but it works)
Mop

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
A very nice hunt but better story, I love to hear of people doing things with their sons and daughters and bonding on something like this. I would really love to do this with my son... May you have many more hunts like this in the future

Doc

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Awesome job! Don't suppose we could talk you into posting some pictures of your rifle and this great hunt? Just wonderin...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like you all had the perfect initiation into family hunts. They don't get much better than when the whole family shares the experience.

Congratulations on a great hunt, and many more to come!!

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Very good spot to put that ornate G would be to have one made up at the local jewelers with at least two screw holes. Make it an egg shape that would fit on the bottom of the pistol grip. This was done back in the day as an accessory you could get from Marlin.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is awesome!!!!! Great gun with meat in the freezer!!!!!

Reactions: Survivor99
1 - 20 of 47 Posts