Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's pics of a knife I just finished making. I made it out of an old circular saw blade I had in the garage. The wood is cocobolo wood.

I'm pretty pleased with it but there's alot of things I learned so that I could get much better results if I do another one.

The sucker is razor sharp but I don't think it's going to hold an edge very well because I don't think I got the heat treating of the blade right. I'm not even sure what kind of steel it is so it's hard to know the right process for quenching it. If I do another one I may pay for a piece of steel of known type. I need something with more thickness to make a longer blade, anyway.

Anyway, it was fun to make and I was pleased with the result for my first try. It's easily the best knife in my kitchen right now.

I'm already working on another one that has a longer blade and thinner handle. I cut the wood for the handle from a different direction and the grain will have kind of a "tiger strip" pattern to it. I think I may "split" it so the pattern will be mirror images of the opposite side.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Nice! I like it! :wink:
If you want a beefier piece of steel old files work well. I'v a couple I put away for a project like this & never got around to. Not enuff hours in the day. :?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts