Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I hope all the Cajun folks out there would be proud. I made a nice shrimp and sausage gumbo. I made smoked bacon that morning so I started off with the bacon fat with equal parts flour in my dutch oven and I cooked that bad boy until it was brown and flavorful. I then added my veggies some of these are not typical but I worked with what I had. I had 3 diced jalapenos, 1 large onion, 5 stalks finely chopped celery. I let them sweat a bit and added my seasoning. Added about 2 tBSP of garlic and cooked til fragrant and golden. I had salt free cajun seasoning so I could control the salt. I added about 1/2 cup cajun seasoning. It is a lot but it was wonderful. I know it is usually served over rice but I didnt have okra as a thickener so I put about 1.25 cups rice (some of my rice was boxed dirty rice so that added flavor too). I then added a 28 oz can of crushed tomato. Let that get to a brick red state and then I dumped in 8 cups of my homemade chicken stocked. Mixed it real good and added fresh chopped green beans to mimic the veggie bite of the okra. As for okra is a little hard to find here. I chopped up kielbasa and let it all simmer for about 35 mins lid on, stirring occasionally. I whisked 1/3 cup flour and 1/3 C water in a bowl and added it to the pot just to thicken it up a touch and simmered for 10 mins before adding 1 lb of shrimp. I let it simmer another 10 mins lid on very low heat. Now this last part may be controversial, I added 1 cup frozen peas to add color and sweetness. Adjusted salt to taste. And it was delicious. Not gonna lie. I know it's not super authentic but I think if you tasted it you'd be proud. Serve with tobasco to taste or if desired.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Sounds interesting. I thought the recommendation of serving with Tabasco to taste after using 3 jalapeños and Cajun seasoning to be an interesting one for a Northern boy that grew up on German cooking like I did. Tried pan blackened Cajun catfish at a restaurant once and it was plenty spicy.

DEP

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds interesting. I thought the recommendation of serving with Tabasco to taste after using 3 jalapeños and Cajun seasoning to be an interesting one for a Northern boy that grew up on German cooking like I did. Tried pan blackened Cajun catfish at a restaurant once and it was plenty spicy.

DEP
I love spicy food, but its optional. It was actually pleasantly hot. So people just add it to their bowls based on individual taste.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I do a classic gumbo, no okra but what it comes down to is put whatever you want or have handy and enjoy. The last one I made I did the roux in the oven. Easier and better results. Mix your fat/oil and flour in an iron skillet, put in the oven at 350 and about an hour later you have chocolate brown roux. No stirring. Throw all your veggies in to stop it from cooking any more then proceed with building your gumbo.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I never saw a gumbo with peas in it....but, it is a clean the fridge dish. I will always like the left over fried chicken and sausage gumbo. I don't like okra so it don't go in my gumbo. Boiled snot with seeds.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I never saw a gumbo with peas in it....but, it is a clean the fridge dish. I will always like the left over fried chicken and sausage gumbo. I don't like okra so it don't go in my gumbo. Boiled snot with seeds.
I tried okra both canned and from the produce department. Could not get over its texture either. Looked at this posting because I was curious about what gumbo was. Clean the fridge dish seems to be it. My father used to spend the winter in Texas and tried gumbo but he claimed everything had peppers in it. Many of us Northern folk are not pepper oriented. Guy that wrote "How to Speak Minnesotan" claimed that you needed sun glasses to sit down to a Scandinavian meal due to all the white food. Some of their dishes do tend to be bland. My family liked predominately German type food which is not spicy. I do enjoy trying other dishes.

DEP

·
Registered
29,611 Posts
Lol! You make gumbo the way you want...............!
I never put tomatos in a gumbo, okra belongs in it! Never heard of jalapenos in it either. Always skim any grease off top of gumbo while your simmering it. Freeze it and come back for more in a month or two.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me either tbh. I'm not a big okra fan. It was surprisingly good with the peas. Added another texture and sweetness. But I'm sure you could leave it outor sub it. When I made it it seemed like a good idea and turned out good. So no complaints but I know not traditional. I guess I wanted more of something green in it too. Lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol! You make gumbo the way you want...............!
I never put tomatos in a gumbo, okra belongs in it! Never heard of jalapenos in it either. Always skim any grease off top of gumbo while your simmering it. Freeze it and come back for more in a month or two.

ca'jun56
A neighbor who grows the jalapenos gave them to me. In my mind I thought it would add more heat. But with the volume of gumbo I had they probably got lost. I would do the roux again using smoked bacon grease again though. That was a treat. It was a definitely use what I got and clean some stuff out gumbo. But it honestly tasted great. I've had alligator gumbo before. It was very good. Are tomatoes a big No no in gumbo in Louisiana? Or just personal preference?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
No beans in mine, I am of Norman decent through England (William the ******* (conqueror)). Spent 14 years in Louisiana and my MIL said I made better red beans and rice and squirrel than she did. LOL I was adopted cajun.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@18th Century Today

Here you go! Louisiana Gumbo

You can leave out the beans, your prefence.

ca'jun56
I was reading a few recipes. I just realized it is more similar to a jambalaya but not as much rice to liquids. It really tasted good what I made. Not sure what to call it though. Jambalaya stew? Cajun stew? Not sure. I wish you all could taste it though. It was very good and filling.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Not uncommon to come up with our own dishes that really are not classifiable. Recipes are guidelines not set in stone unless you work for a restaurant. I doubt if my stews taste the same twice in a row.
Something about celery, peppers and onions in Louisiana dishes. Seen that called the trinity in Cajun cooking.

DEP

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Not uncommon to come up with our own dishes that really are not classifiable. Recipes are guidelines not set in stone unless you work for a restaurant. I doubt if my stews taste the same twice in a row.
Something about celery, peppers and onions in Louisiana dishes. Seen that called the trinity in Cajun cooking.

DEP
I always start my Gumbo with the 6 cups of chicken stock then the Trinity ( Onion, red bell pepper, and celery) my meats are a pound of cubed and pan browned chicken breast, 1 lb of mild Italian sausage cubed & browned in skillet, and then added to the gumbo pot, followed by a cup of brown rice, add the spices (1 tsp dried marjoram, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper) then a can of diced tomatoes. Then cover and bring this to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes; then add a pack of frozen Okra and a pound of raw shelled shrimp, bring to boil again and then simmer until shrimp are cooked (about 10-12 minutes). Serve in a bowl with chunks of French or Italian bread for sopping up the juices left in the bowl. :) I put out a bottle of hot sauce for those who like it a little hotter.

This is a favorite around our family and friends! Especially in the fall and winter. At elk and deer hunting camps it is always on the menu for at least one night! We make it up in advance, freeze it, put in the camp cooler.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
I don't think I saw at least of the two main ingredients mentioned .... white pepper or filet

jd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts