Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been successfully resisting getting into bullet casting up to recently.

But I fell off the wagon......
My 38-55 has kind of a large groove diameter, so there is a limited selection of bullets available to purchase.

Here is some stuff that I have accumulated over the last 3 weeks.
DSCN2064_cropped.jpg

The new Accurate mold came in the mail Thursday, so Friday I warmed up the Lyman #2 alloy and gave it a try.

Boy, it was a pretty humbling experience for awhile.

But finally I got what I think are some passable bullets showing up.

DSCN2069_cropped.jpg DSCN2070_cropped.jpg

Hopefully the yield will be better next time.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Well, those look really good! Your temperature seems good, as I didn't see either frosted patches (too hot) or wrinkles (too cold). One thing I do for bullets I'll fire in rifles is to weigh them - sometimes even the best-looking bullets can have an air bubble in them that causes weights to vary.

Don't let the 'try & try' process get to you - you begin to learn little things that help all the time. I like to bring the mould blocks up to temperature by resting them on the edge of the lead pot at is comes to temperature. I also flux very, very frequently by dropping a large booger-sized flake of bullet lube into the pot, lighting it, and ladling the mix top to bottom in a circular motion just like mixing cake batter. Properly fluxed metal looks like the dull side of aluminum foil - not the shiny bright side. You cannot overdo fluxing.

I also smoke the inside of the mould blocks and the underside of the sprue cutter with a match once warmed - it helps the bullets fall (rather than stick) from the mould. Once your bullets start falling well, neither too hot nor too cold, keeping casting in exactly the same fashion until you either have 2x the number you want or until the pot runs dry.

This advice is worth just what you paid for it.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Nice boolits! you could mix your lyman #2 with pure lead (if you can find some) to stretch out your alloy. Lyman #2 is 90% Lead 5% Tin and 5% Antimony... You only need 2% tin for fill out and 2% antimony if you want to water drop for a higher BHN. You can mix 10lbs of Lyman #2 with 15lbs of pure lead for a mix of 96-2-2 and a BHN of 11 (put a little bismuth or sulfer in the mix and its prefect...)

You have a plain base boolit so you shouldnt be going much over 1400fps so the lower bhn of 11 will help it mushroom better.... My PB 45-70 boolits are 11bhn and I love them..

Keep on casting, Nothing better then to shoot a round you not only loaded but created with your own hands!

Doc

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have acquired about 100 pounds of "range lead" in ingot form.

But for now I think I will stick with a commercial alloy until I get a little better handle on how things are supposed to go.

My second casting session went better than the first, I think primarily because I pre-heated the mold on a hotplate.

I have enough pretty good looking bullets to lube, size, and see how they shoot. So, off to warm up some Wind's Wonder Wax :biggrin:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking boolits! Would that be a 38-250B by any chance?
You are correct!
It is a 382-250B, and is dropping right at .383 diameter, which is just what I wanted.

I have 50 lubed and sized at .383, 50 lubed and sized at .382, and hope to try them next weekend to see how they perform.

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Congrats srf, it's all over now but the shouting. Good news is that it's very rewarding.

I just got a new Accurate mold, my third one. Think I'm gonna sell my Ranch Dog clone (since I sold my 375s) and maybe buy the Wet Dog special someday soon.

I suspect very soon you'll be adding a 45-70 mold. Anyone one to place odds:))

Be interested in which one when you chose.... And note I I didn't say "if".

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Thought this was more of that fly fishing thread...

Nice bullets.

·
Registered
910 Posts
srf
nothing like rolling your own.......which brings up paper patching, your on your way.

Reactions: srf

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Looks like you'll be pretty well set for the Happenz next year! Nice casting job, and yeah, my first session didn't go that well. Matter of fact, I've had a lot of sessions that didn't go that well! Very Nice Job!

Jeff

Reactions: srf
1 - 17 of 17 Posts