Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I replied an AR15 lower receiver. She asked me how much and I said $130. She said lets go get it. I bought a Plum Crazy complete lower. My plan is to build an ultra light carbine from this lower with a flat top and 16" light weight barrel. I am shooting for 5 pounds with buis, a small reddot and a tactical light. I was talking about my recent purchase when a friend said let me see what I have a home. He came in two days later with a stripped A1 upper, car15 style barrel, and a 20" A1 barrel. I thought about it for awhile and decided I really wanted to shoot it so we made a deal and I came home with the parts for a great price. This is where I currently stand. I ordered the bcg, bolt, and the rest of the upper parts today. Now the questions. I was doing some research on AR15.com and it seems like these old parts might be more valuable to someone else. The car barrel is pretty much shot but the front sight base has the parting line still on it and .625" bore. I would like to maybe trade them for a flatop upper and a 16" barrel of some kind or maybe sell them if the price is right. So, do these parts have any value?

Upper on the lower with barrels

Barrels

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
It may... to the right buyer. Retro is in, but most retro-enthusiasts are looking for a flat-side (non-forward assist) upper for a SP1 build. Your A1 upper does have some value (especially if it's a Colt upper) to the right person. You could search the classifieds at ARF and see what you come up with as a sale price, same with the barrel.

I will tell you, if you want a flattop, don't waste your time with the A1 upper... you won't be satisfied, even with a QR mount on top of the carry handle (I speak from experience.) Spend the money on a viable flattop, and build from there.

Also, and I'm not the super expert on this, but a 5lb-ish AR is going to be pretty hard to build, especially with all the furniture on it. I built my shorty AR with an early Bushnell HoloSight on it (the predecessor to the EOTech,) still don't have the BUIS on it and I'm already over 6lb (albiet, with a medium weight barrel.)

...not to dissuade you, that 5# goal may be achieveable, but you will have to carefully pick your parts.

BTW, there is a poly AR lower out there now... that would save a few ounces...

New Frontier Armory Model LW-15 Lightweight Polymer AR-15 Lower

...and now seems like a good time to post another photo of my AR build... an LRB lower with a RRA upper... :biggrin:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Charlie. The Plum Crazy lower is composite also.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I heard about about a year ago. They were $99 then but I just didn't have it at the time. If you look around used there is also the Cavarms lower. I think they may have been the very first.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been so busy lately I almost forgot about this thread. I figure it is time for an update. I sold the A1 upper for enough money for a complete A3 upper. I am so glad this is how things worked out I really wanted the flattop anyway. I have decided to keep the 20" barrel. I plan to send it to ADCO and have it shortened to 18". I figure 18" without a muzzle device will put me right about the length of a 16" carbine with a muzzle device. From everything I have read so far it should function fine with the 2" shorter barrel. I headspaced the barrel and test fired the rifle as a straight pull bolt action last weekend. I shot the group in the picture offhand a 50 yards using my ancient Tasco Acuudot sight. I have forgotten how much i like this sight so it might go back on the rifle when all things are said and done. I have also decided that i really do not like the A2 pistol grip and its gotta go. I will be ordering the rest of the pieces i need today. I am getting MOE handgaurds to put on it. I do have another questiion though are there plain old scope rings that will give me sight cowitness for a 1" tube?

The rifle at this point with the accudot

The off hand 50 yard group

1 - 7 of 7 Posts