Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my first 45-70! Its a 1895 LTD I! This thing is in super shape. If it shoots as good as it looks it well really be great. I got it off GB.Payed dearly for it and the fellow I got it from threw in a new set of RCBS cowboy dies! He didn't have the box but had all paperwork along with two letters from Marlin. This will be my first venture into reloading. I can't wait to shoot it!

·
Banned
20,659 Posts
VERY nice!

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
That is obscenely beautiful

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody. I really am excided to try it out. I got some missouri cast 405s to try. I also bought some IMR3031, and Reloader7. Does anybody know where I can find some published loading data on reloader7 for the 45-70? All I got is the latest speer book. I got my wife looking for "forty years with the 45-70" and "Lymand reloading handbook 49". Shes great at search and find! I am also new to reloading.

·
Registered
593 Posts
CITYSLICKER1 said:
If it shoots as good as it looks it well really be great. I can't wait to shoot it!
It will shoot well. I have never seen a Marlin that didn't shoot well unless something was really bad wrong with it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have been using IMR3031 for the 45-70 since 1977. You will find it's easy to load and forgiving.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you are new to reloading - look for the Lyman 48th edition. Not only is there LOTS of data on the 45-70, but there is a really comprehensive section on getting started (also in the 49th) and a great article on the 45-70. You will really enjoy it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks TmbrWlkr, I will be looking for the lyman book and also some one else suggested "forty years with the 45-70" by Paul Matthews.

·
Registered
330 Posts
City Slicker ... Paul Mathews wrote the 45-70 article in the 48th edition. So, if you find "40 years" first - you can probably just pick up the 49th - which should be on shelves now. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Am I crazy or is that a half round half octagon barrel. I knew winchester did that at on time but not Marlin. When was that gun made?
Oh yeah, it's awsome

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks agin TmbrWlkr, Ok thats what I'll do. I think my wife found "40 years" for 19.00 somewhere on the internet. I'll try to get her to find the 49th for me also. I got a buddy that has a sharps reproduction that needs ammo too, we are working together on this 45-70 thing. This is a great winter time project...Marlinitis!!!

Sandman, Thanks. and yes it does have half round and half octagon barrel. Its a 1895 LTD I. Marlin did a special run of LTD's I thru V for Davidsons. If I'm right only 1000 of each were made. This one was made in 1998. Each one was a different gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts