Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally did it. After having and loading for over 30 different rifle cartridges and 20 different handgun cartridges, I ended up with a 45-70. I'd prefer a longer barrel than 22", but adding another no.3 to the heard was an easy compromise. By the way, I consider the no.3 the most elegant falling block ever made in modern times. This one is NIB from 1978. It's been paid for but cannot pick it up from Illinois gun jail until next week. Had to use the dealer's pic.

So, I started shopping for dies and components. Have dies and Hornady 300 grain bullets on the way. Apparently, Starline brass is impossible to find. Will have to pick up some factory ammo for brass at an outrageous cost. That's if I can find it locally.

Attachments

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Good for you, bassetman1974.

I've always wanted a #3.
My first choice would have been 22 Hornet, second the legendary .45-70 (of course).
Enjoy it... each and every "rock your world" shot.

· Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thanks so much guys for the kind responses. I just need 25 to 50 virgin Starline cases to get me going for a long time.

This makes my third no.3. Have the 223 Rem, 375 Win, and now 45-70. Also, my no.1 list is 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 25-06, 7-08, and 300 Win Mag, These are the best Ruger's ever made. Bill Ruger in an Interview about 20 years ago said the no.1 and no.3 were a break even proposition investment at best. He just wanted to make the strongest falling block ever made, and he did at a price the normal guy could afford. Apparently, I'm not normal because I'm a blue collar guy that has three no.3's and five no.1's. However, it took me well over a decade to get them all.

· Registered
97 Posts
Wow! Thanks so much guys for the kind responses. I just need 25 to 50 virgin Starline cases to get me going for a long time.

This makes my third no.3. Have the 223 Rem, 375 Win, and now 45-70. Also, my no.1 list is 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 25-06, 7-08, and 300 Win Mag, These are the best Ruger's ever made. Bill Ruger in an Interview about 20 years ago said the no.1 and no.3 were a break even proposition investment at best. He just wanted to make the strongest falling block ever made, and he did at a price the normal guy could afford. Apparently, I'm not normal because I'm a blue collar guy that has three no.3's and five no.1's. However, it took me well over a decade to get them all.
My #1 in 218 bee was shipped and now nearby at ups so I will get it soon. Have custom No. 1s in 280 AI and 45-70. The new 45-70 is a brand new build with a 28” bull barrel. Got it’s first victim this am at 144 yds

· Registered
1,721 Posts
The Number 3 in 45-70 is known to kick a fair bit.

My neighbor sold his, and bought a 45-70 Marlin from me to replace it.

Very cool rifle though. :)

Regards, Guy
Yeah these guns are pretty light and the high comb on them does not help either.

I got a peep sight on mine so it does not have the weight of a scope and rings. It sees trapdoor loads almost exclusively.

· Premium Member
16,874 Posts
congrats, the No. 3 has always been one of my favorites, mine is in .30-40 Krag

Reactions: M700 and vt4ster

· Registered
1,398 Posts
Hope your pain tolerance is high. I haven’t found a load for mine that is comfortable to shoot. I haven’t tried the super light loads but I bought mine to be a hunting rifle and didn’t want light loads. The same loads I use in my marlin 1895 feel a whole lot worse in the ruger.

· Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again guys for the input. Yes, I have been thinking about the recoil. I'm going to use Trapdoor loads with 300 to 405 grain jacketed and cast. Can't imagine using the high power Ruger loads in the no.3 with the design of the stock and no recoil pad.

Dies and bullets are on the way from Midway and virgin Starline brass on the way from MO member vt4ster. Thanks again Dave!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts