·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
that is a nice one! I would feed it BP only,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: Owen49

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
nothing to cleaning BP! in mine I use ballistol and water 50/50 I leave the last case in the chamber. the 38/44 44/40 creates a seal from the bottleneck brass. I swab it out 3 or four times then wipe dry, then put ballistol in the bore after I eject the case and wipe down the bolt. it is as easy to clean as smokeless, you just need to do it soon after shooting it. another thing that helps 100% is I use a "big lube boolit" from this man https://www.biglube.com/ it makes all the difference in the world! you can also use them in anything for that caliber. also use SPG lube I make my own also, of beeswax and olive oil,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
When referring to cleaning BP in the old cartridge guns many do not mention the case cleaning also. That should be done as well. Many have mentioned keeping a container of solvent handy and dropping the spent cartridges in it while shooting.
38-40 is an interesting cartridge. Most that have one like it. Comparing power between it and the 44 is kind of pedantic as neither is a real power house. Some have written that it was a better pistol cartridge. 40 calibers were once very popular in its day. Would be a fun cartridge to play with.

DEP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.