Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was going great. Got all my chores done, wife was fixing Easter brunch. In-laws and out-laws are coming over for a nice sit down Sunday meal.
Had a couple hours to kill so I went out back and sat down to cast some boolits. As I have said in other posts, I'm smelting and logging what the scrap is and where it came from, so as to test for hard lead and soft lead.

This time water quenching as they come out of the mold. (Very good results by the way.) But after 25 or 30 casts...pop!! snap!! pop!!.

At first I thought maybe a drop of water splashed all the way up and into the pot. But no, the pot was cooling down and stopped pouring.

It was electrical. My brand new Lee Pro 4-20 is "kaput". I have used it three times for a total of just over 250 boolits. And the heat element is fried.

I will send it back as they boast of a full warranty. Hope they honor it. But maybe I'll look for something else, a little bit better in quality.

Happy Easter, Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is a bummer,Steve! I have been casting for 40+ years, and am on my second Lee Production pot. Was thinking of upgrading to the Pro 4-20, as casting 540 gr bullets for my 45-70's & 458 Lott empties the 10 pound pot in a hurry. Maybe I'll have to think about the Lyman bottom-pour pot! A lot more money however.

I am sure Lee will come good for their warranty. Good luck & straight shooting.
-Len

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Bummer for sure. But at least you got to cast some bullets. I cut up a tree (a really big tree) downed in a wind storm--but no complaints here. An all-around beautiful day! Just great to be alive in the greatest country in the world (I know, I know...need to work on that a bit...but we're still that "Shining City On The Hill" to the vast majority of the world's population).

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
Everything was going great. Got all my chores done, wife was fixing Easter brunch. In-laws and out-laws are coming over for a nice sit down Sunday meal.
Had a couple hours to kill so I went out back and sat down to cast some boolits. As I have said in other posts, I'm smelting and logging what the scrap is and where it came from, so as to test for hard lead and soft lead.

This time water quenching as they come out of the mold. (Very good results by the way.) But after 25 or 30 casts...pop!! snap!! pop!!.

At first I thought maybe a drop of water splashed all the way up and into the pot. But no, the pot was cooling down and stopped pouring.

It was electrical. My brand new Lee Pro 4-20 is "kaput". I have used it three times for a total of just over 250 boolits. And the heat element is fried.

I will send it back as they boast of a full warranty. Hope they honor it. But maybe I'll look for something else, a little bit better in quality.

Happy Easter, Steve
That's a bummer but I am happy for you that it was the element and not a drop of water in the hot lead pot. When you get water in the lead pot by the time you hear the sound you may have time to shut your eyes.:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have unplugged and plugged it in and turned it on several times. It's kaput!!! I have packaged it for return to Lee Precision Inc. I am sure they will send me another one.

But, is that what I want? (I'll take it) but I don't mind spending extra for the right part. But, what is the right part???

Steve

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I hope that you do always wear eye protection when you are doing anything involving molten metal. I am sure that Lee will stand behind their product. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Oh my, here I set with just my OLD Coleman gas stove, my 40 -45lb cast iron pot and my Rowel bottom pour ladle while you guys are talking about your razzle dazzle electric bottom pour pots. :dontknow:

Must be an Ol'Coot thing, but glad I'm using what I'm using and your using what your using and yes, I have tried an electric bottom pour.

Good luck Cowboy hope things work out for ya, but if ya want to see how a real pot works, stop on by. :flute: :flute: :biggrin:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
That Gremlin may have struck twice. I finished mixing some alloy last night when I realized the remaining alloy in the pot was cooling down. Pot was still plugged in and dial turned up, but alloy cooling and setting. I'll double check this evening, but I think it bit the bullet. It's a brand new 4-20 used three times.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh my, here I set with just my OLD Coleman gas stove, my 40 -45lb cast iron pot and my Rowel bottom pour ladle while you guys are talking about your razzle dazzle electric bottom pour pots. :dontknow:

Must be an Ol'Coot thing, but glad I'm using what I'm using and your using what your using and yes, I have tried an electric bottom pour.

Good luck Cowboy hope things work out for ya, but if ya want to see how a real pot works, stop on by. :flute: :flute: :biggrin:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
O.K. Ol'Coot, where do I get one? The ladle I mean. I smelt in a pot like you are talking about and not only do I use gas but I am in the business so I get it CHEAP.
I do like the bottom pour pot and will try the ladle if I can find one, but does anyone make a gas fired bottom pour pot?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts

Happy Easter, Steve
Man that's weird. Mine just keeps going and going - like the Energizer Bunny.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Cowboy,

You can get the Rowel bottom pour ladle from Buffalo Arms here in Ideeeeho, and I believe from Rotometal.

I think if you google, Car Mover Company you can also find the ladle.

I have the second up from the bottom in size and with the longer handle.

They make those ladles so big, that they are two man operated.

CDOC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.