Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Dillon "D-Terminator" elect scale now returns to zero +or- .2g What to buy now?

Presuming it's not repairable, Pls. recommend replacement based upon your experience. So far I'm loading all weighed charges during load eval.

Thanks for watching.

Wally

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like balance beam scales for weighing powder charges. Ones I have personally used are the RCBS 502, 505, 5-10, 10-10 or the earlier Lyman scales also manufactured by Ohaus. I have both the Lyman M5 and RCBS 10-10 on hand; and I like the micrometer style of the RCBS unit better, although they both work well.

I have read to many stories like yours of the electronic scales failing to maintain zero for me to be comfortable using one for powder measuring. Gravity always works.

I saw an RCBS 10-10 in a retail shop a couple of months ago for about what Dillon wants for the D-terminator.

Robert

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've got two electronic scales. I use them now for weighing components and case capacity in grains of water.

I simply spent too much time re-zeroing while loading, and the balance beam is more than accurate and repeatable enough. That, and I also had to set my trickler on something while using an electronic...:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Digital scales are a pain in the rumph! Go back to a balance beam, you won't be sorry. I know, "been there, done that, learned my lesson."

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I agree, I need to go to a "balance beam", the electronic was find for testing one in 10 or 20 pistol loads, but for my rifle loads where I measure EVERY round.....the electronic is always either going off zero, or turning off before I can get back to it (then you have to turn it on, reset the Tare :() I just need to pick up a nice scale. I'm on the hunt, waiting for the next gunshow.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have the same Dillon scale and it works fine, give Dillon a call they are good about backing up what they sell. I also use a RCBS 5-10 or 10-10.
+1 on the Dillon, I've had one for years and it's never failed me.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I have used the lee scale that came with the classic turret press. It has not given me any trouble on the return to zero. I have recently purchased a set of lee dippers and use the lee loading manual for the correct dipper size. the other night I loaded 50 45-70 rounds and used the lee dippers as printed, I also took the effort to weigh each dipper load prior to loading in the caseing. I found the dippers to be suprisinly precise each and every time. for ease of use and also the precsion of measurement I will continue to use the lee dippers to load. the only problem I see is if I wanted 43.9 gr as opposed to 42.9 gr of 4198 I would have to use the scale. I am not sure I have found a precise weight in grains of the powders I am using just yet that affect accuracy of the shot in a substantial way. the reason I have meandered down the path of the dippers is they make sense, volume is constant and reading the Lee manual on the thought process behind the dippers made perfect sense to me.

In my day job I run an analytical laboratory and weighing is more of an art than a science. the temperature and humiidty affect readings in the low ranges us re-loaders live in. If you zero the balance in a high humidity area and then change to a low humidity area the zero will most definitely change. Temps have an affect but in my experience humidity plays a bigger role in the low end of weighing. as far as cheap digital scales, I would be wary, beam type scales are very forgiving and can be adjusted through a mechanical means, digital you would most likely have to adjust a a digital pot on the board requirening much more knowledge and expertise than I want to have to weigh an item.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I have an RCBS chargemaster and am very happy. I got the combo and its easy to use reliable.
The trick is to not throw powder on your reloading bench. Set up a stool or desperate bench do the press does not jar or rattle your powder thrower. Store your powder scale on a shelf away from your bench.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have an RCBS range master 750. I plug it it in whenever I begin my steps to reload and then zero it when I begin charging rounds. I saw this as a tip for using a digital scale when it's cold and I have stuck with it. As long as my fan is not on the scale the zero stays put.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've spent my time in a chem lab 'playing' with beam balances & am now impatient with that process. I've heard/read about $200 portable auto dispensers made for "looking" at the beam position for feedback. I'm not inclined to go that route, as it requires purchasing a GOOD beam scale also. I especially liked the advice of isolating the scale platform from other workbench 'activities'.

I purchased a new Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser for $187 incl. shipping. It has 3 speeds, but does not advertise proportional speed control which would slow down as setpoint is approached. I don't know if any do that. Well, if it's not the cat's meow, look for a slightly used dispenser on this forum. lol

Thanks to all for your considered opinions. It helped me solidify what I thought I wanted.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
... It has 3 speeds, but does not advertise proportional speed control which would slow down as setpoint is approached. I don't know if any do that. Well, if it's not the cat's meow, look for a slightly used dispenser on this forum. lol
The RCBS Chargemaster has some sort of PID controller. I'm guessing the Hornady will, too. Let us know how it works out, I love the Chargemaster but have never tried the Hornady.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser - Pkg waiting for me upon arrival from Amish territory vacation in Indiana.

Easy to setup & the box will make a good storage container. Dumped a few oz. of Green Dot into res. & punched in 9gn. Yes it does have PID control, whew, thank goodness. It went from fast to med to slow to trickle to jog to slow jog, until the setpoint was attained. I couldn't have programmed it better myself. It starts up in Auto - Normal Speed mode. Either enter powder charge setpoint or change mode to Manual, then enter charge setpoint. I'm going to like the Manual mode, as it will wait for me to dump a 90% charge in then I'll press Dispense for it to complete the charge weight.

The user defined 'dispense speeds' actually determine how many 10th's of a grain prior to setpoint, that the controls begin their 'throttling'. Choosing 'Fast' begins the 'throttling' within .2 grains of setpoint. Choosing Normal begins at .5 grain prior to setpoint & Slow begins throttling 1 grain prior to setpoint. I can see where various powder construction & charge weight determines these parameters for best performance.

Being my first auto dispenser, I got a kick out of the Auto mode. During initial setup/calibration, it records "empty scale" & "scale w/pan" weights. When the pan is returned empty, it hesitates a moment to confirm Zero, then proceeds to fill'er up! This will be great for small charges.

It remains to be seen how long it's stable & accurate. Oh well, I needed a replacement scale anyway, so I kicked it up a notch.

Reactions: miatakix

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Very cool :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts