Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted pics of my Marlin before, but I suppose they really belong in this neat new section.

I bought my 1894 .44 Magnum used and my dad cut the barrel down to 16". He re-crowned the muzzle and re-cut the front sight dovetail by hand with files. He also slicked up the action and trigger pull. I refinished the factory stock and forearm with several coats of Lin-Speed oil after I removed the white butt stock spacer. We put a saddle ring on the receiver too. My best friend blueprinted the lever and blueprinted his father's Winchester John Wayne Commemorative's big loop lever. Then he overlaid the blueprints and fed them into his CAD/CAM and several hours later it popped out a Marlin John Wayne big loop lever. He had my initials stamped in the bottom and then had it blued to match my Marlin.

The little rifle stayed this way for years. But then this past fall, I had Michael Gouse ( www.mtart.com ) engraved it with American Scroll. He did the frame, the lever, the tang, the first 1 1/2" of the barrel, the barrel band and the forearm cap.

To really set it off though, Lever made me one of his awesome buttstock covers and carved a mountain lion on the left side.

Now it's all set. I'm going to use it in a Cowboy Action Shoot this summer. It only holds 9 .44 Special rounds, so I'll be at a competitive disadvantage on 10 round stages, but it's worth it to load one extra round from my belt just so I can shoot my custom Marlin "in the heat of battle!"

-Steve

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
That's really a nicely done 1894! Love the quality of the engraving done!

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
WOW!
Now that is too nice!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
That gun is beautiful. :'(

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Very Nice Marlin Steve, I like it a lot!! I bet it's great to have a gun that means so much to you-just the way you want it!!

Enjoy shooting it, and passing it down to the next generation!!

gr

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
That's Awesome..

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Wow!! How did I miss this?
That is just Awesome!!

Reactions: Bigstevex4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Forgive me, for I have sinned....

I have stolen your photo and placed it on my desktop.
I covet it every time I sit down at the computer.
Thanks for posting a pic of that piece of art.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!

I put that saddle ring on about 15 years ago so I've forgotten exactly how it worked. It was rather simple though. You just had to drill the hole and then thread it. The saddle ring just screws right in.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
That may be the purtist lever Ive seen, not to gawdy, done just right

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the very kind words everyone! I just had the short little carbine out today, playing around with it.

Gouse charged $600 for the engraving.... I sold a gun so I could afford to spruce this Marlin up a bit. It's far and away my favorite rifle!

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Exceptional

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Registered
661 Posts
You should be proud of that, it's by far the finest 1894 I have ever seen!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts