Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAM00034.jpg Just learning to post cellphone pic thought everyone would enjoy some Easter Delight. I have recently came across a nice long action Weatherby style wood stock that I may purchase for this one. This is my 270 standard cal. Vanguard. I bought my Father one just like it a few years back. Eventually I will inherit his and thought I would like to have a Deluxe stock on mine. I am a little confused with the stock I found. It style is identical to an actual Weatherby Deluxe stock except it does not have the Rose wood fore tip or grip cap. I want to say I say a Older Howa with the same stock many years ago. The Mossberg 464 30-30 above is my only Leve rgun right now. She is a real shooter and probaley be wearing a 3x9x40 Bushnell Dusk till dawn soon.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
There have been quite a few guns made on the same action as your vanguard...the Howa 1500, S&W, Mossberg and possibly others. The action is made by Howa in japan. There were lots of stocks out there. At one point Numrich had quite a few styles available. I like my SUB-MOA vanguard (257) and Howa 1500 (6.5x55).

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Nice! I have to get a look at a Mossberg sometime. I only knew of them for shotguns. Some of my buddies prefer them over any other Mfg.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
That's a great setup.
I have a van in 7mag that out does my mark V in 7 mm weatherby all day long.
It and one of my peep sighted 35s is all I'll ever need for hunting.
But I want em all:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I have a .308 Howa which is basically the same thing as the Vangaurd and it is my go to Deer Rifle it is ridiculously accurate!!!! I like it so much that I got another one coming in a 20"Heavy Barrel!!!!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
There have been quite a few guns made on the same action as your vanguard...the Howa 1500, S&W, Mossberg and possibly others. The action is made by Howa in japan. There were lots of stocks out there. At one point Numrich had quite a few styles available. I like my SUB-MOA vanguard (257) and Howa 1500 (6.5x55).
Correct - Weatherby uses Howa actions to build their Vanguard series rifles. Howa makes the barrels/actions and Weatherby supplies the stocks. This is not unusual as many companies have done this over the years. S&W used to have an I-Bolt rifle line of which my girlfriend has one. The barrel/actions were made by T/C Arms and S&W supplied the stocks. :flute:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes, these seem to be the "contract" action if choice. To add a bit more, my weatherby vanguard sub-MOA came with a much nicer stock than the regular ones...made by Bell and Carlson. So it's a Howa barreled action with a B&C stock and weatherby name. In any case it shoots better than the 5 weatherby Mk V rifles I have/had. So does my Howa...with it's Timney trigger and Boyd's stock.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Great, very useful pair you have there! In fact, unless you go for the big bears, you have an ideal North America battery. I have a friend that kills elk every year with his stock Remington 700 .270 and 150gr bullets. He uses factory loads, last few years the Federal Fusion 150. Personally, I like the 150s in a 270, especially since my BAR likes the heavier bullets. I used the 150gr in my 30-30 growing up in Texas, killed at least a pick-up load of deer/hogs with it, ha. You can even get some Buffalo Bore 190s for your 30-30 and kill moose with it if you like, although any 170 will do the same thing! Good luck to you Pard, have a ball!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My nephew has a Mossberg 30-30 just like yours. We hunted in western Maryland last year and he killed a 6 point buck and a large doe with just one shot each. Ammo used was 170 grain Winchester Power Point which delivers an honest 2 inch group at 100 yards. The scope is a Bushnell 1.5X - 4.5X from eBay for less than $75.00. It's a real nice deer hunting outfit.

TR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts