Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

After nearly 4 long months of ranting and raving about the brand new Malrin 39A I purchased in May 2011, I played phone tag with one of their "directors" of consumer affairs until this week I finally got to talk with him.

I told him, so far since May, you received my rifle three times;

1. rifle shot 5 FEET low @ 100 yds, and 2 feet to the left rear sights clean to the top...

A. You put another barrel on the rifle, sent it back.

2. I received the Rifle back from you in July 2011, the rifle would not extract or eject empties

B. You replaced the extractor, and ejector, and polished the chamber>?

C. You replaced the nice rear stock>? claiming the other was broken in shipping. installed a less desirable stock on my rifle.

3. The gunshop were I bought it tried it, and it would not eject 3 of the 8 shots put through it.
The gun misfired several times, and the stock was loose....after trying 4 different types of target ammo, the best the rifle would group @ 100 yds...7"...pfft...are you kidding me!? and that was with a new leupold Scope installed.

D. I called customer service, ....they never heard of me. cant find my info.

E. Told them that the stock was fit so poorly that I could stick my debit card between the stock and receiver!

F. Told them I would have better luck at the next cowboy silhouette match with a slingshot!

4. sent it back, 3 rd time, Told them I would keep sending it back until 2050, until they got it right!

G. Their sending me another new rifle in September.

?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add, The rep was very nice to me, However when i complained about the horrible workmanship with these rifles, he just said,,,yea,,, they dont make Smith&wessons like they used to either>??

All that...all of my concerns...all the bullcrap...and my answer is,, ? "Yea" they dont make S&W like they used too... seriously? thats your answer? YEA! they dont make um like they used to?

Huh?

Run people...Dont Walk... RUN!! from this manufacturer...If all we do is print thread after thread on how to make these rifles work DESPITE their poor workmanship, we do a great dis-service to our gun community as a whole! SEND IT BACK! make them FIX it! or they can just stop making the dam things!

C45 WERES THE PRIDE>?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Right on Chris. Bought 2 Marlins in 2010, both made in North Haven with JM proof on the barrel, and both have been very well made, and work flawlessly. I really wanted a new model 39A as well as I think those are just classic Marlin leverguns, but there was no way I was going to go down the road you went with yours. I bought a Henry, and it is a good gun, probably functionally as good as a good working 39 of a few years ago. Still all and all I would still rather have been able to buy a good new mod 39. There is really no substitute. Maybe I will find a good used one someday...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldnt help but notice when taking the new 39a to the gun range for the last time, placing the old winchester 9422, down on the bench next to the new marlin.. how pretty the new marlin looked next to the nearly 40 yr old winchester.

Then I took a second look.... a much closer look.... I looked at the blueing on the old winchester, and actually saw my reflection in the receiver... and the stock, how it fit perfectly too the receiver, without so much as a whisker of space between the rear stock and the guns receiver.

And then picking up the old winnie, and cycled the silky smooth action, slowly and watching the spent brass whizz across the shooting bench landing a few feet pass the bench, with no effort whatsoever.

Then picking up the poorly fit, poorly finished, marlin, cycling the lever seemed almost like cocking the old daisy BB gun of my youth, hard and course, and watching the empty brass fall back in the receiver, not kicking it out at all, the stock fit so poorly I could stick a credit card in the gaps, and the finish had so many tooling marks from up close it looked as though they ran a course stone over the rifle before applying blueing. And all we as consumers can say...yea..that the way they make um now! cheap..
well...Id rather pay another 500 bucks for a rifle that shot well, and was finished well, and cycled well. rather than this garbage they are making now!
not to mention the winchester outshot the marlin, open iron sights off the bench, by nearly HALF the group size.... and the Marlin had a scope!

C45

·
Registered
261 Posts

Re: My conversation with Remington/Marlin.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:35 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to add, The rep was very nice to me, However when i complained about the horrible workmanship with these rifles, he just said,,,yea,,, they dont make Smith&wessons like they used to either>??

You should have told him that you will take any Smith & Wesson and go up against a remlin any day in shootout, shooting match, or hunting scenario. The only thing his remlin would be better suited for, is to use it as a club. It makes me sick to think that I have spent $877 plus three 220 mile round trips in a Ford F150 for the P.O.S. SBL that I have been stuck with. But hey, they don't make Toyotas like they used to... they don't make Pacers like the used to...they don't make Pintos like they used too. The problem is that they sure as hell don't price them like they used to either.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
longbow2018 said:

Re: My conversation with Remington/Marlin.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:35 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should have told him that you will take any Smith & Wesson and go up against a remlin any day in shootout, shooting match, or hunting scenario. The only thing his remlin would be better suited for, is to use it as a club. It makes me sick to think that I have spent $877 plus three 220 mile round trips in a Ford F150 for the P.O.S. SBL that I have been stuck with. But hey, they don't make Toyotas like they used to... they don't make Pacers like the used to...they don't make Pintos like they used too. The problem is that they sure as hell don't price them like they used to either.
Another way of looking at it is investors paid big bucks to buy Marlin because it was considered "undervalued" whatever that means. Probably out of debt and operating in the black in this case. Now suddenly it is NOT undervalued anymore in the sense that Marlin (now in name only) sort of "owes" 41+ million dollars to those investors who are not likely to want to wait very long for returns to start flowing in. It is worse than that however. Now the new "Marlin" is being ran by and built by its competition, and they now are at their whim and mercy. I believe what makes most sense of this whole senseless venture is they bought Marlin to gain market share, and to buy out the competition. I think they saw the Marlin levergun as something they thought they could easily produce and now are finding out otherwise, and because of the investors need for quick returns they just may be dropping them from their future catalogs at some point and sticking with what Remington knows. It could even be that the name Marlin will simply be merged with Remington, maybe with the same guns being sold under both names, or dropped all together at some point, like so many other mergers have done.

For the time being we can all expect to pay more for less quality than we are used to for a rifle that isn't really a Marlin anymore.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I think what happened with Stevens when bought out by Savage is pretty much what's going to happen to Marlin under Remington.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, forgot to add, I asked the rep to atleast test the rifle before they sent it to me, he said..um no..we dont do that...
I then asked him, if he could pick me out a nice rifle with a fairly nice stock... he said...umm no./.. we dont do that..

So what do you do? we will send your dealer another rifle, in the box...

wont even look at it...wont shoot it to test it....do you guys even believe this crap??

Sorta like i'm a big pain in their azz, when I'm the putz that hasnt had the rifle to shoot in 4 stinkin months!

Good grief

C45

·
Registered
502 Posts
After all that trouble, time, and expense, if that new rifle turns out to be as bad as the others, I would demand that they send you a rifle from Remington's Custom Shop

I nice Grade 5 Remington Model 547 !!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never hurts to mention the Better Business Bureau. Has anyone checked to see if there are any recent reports to them about Remington?

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
Keep the ser# on file. That way we can see how fast they rebox and only rebox your old one, and sell it to the next newbe looking for help on this forum.

I will never buy a Freedom group product. To bad you had to find out the hard way. :(

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Schtoolee said:
I will never buy a Freedom group product.
Niether will I...................It would be too painful to relive all those manufacturing Nightmares, and think aboutthe way they were pushing the NEW workers to "Get that rifle out the door".........!

Hey, but thats just me.........................

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
Just get your money back and buy a Henry until they get it right. Who knows maybe Rossi will start cloning 1894 and 39A next.

T ;) NY

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Tomray said:
Niether will I...................It would be too painful to relieve those manufacturing Nightmares, and think about they were pushing the NEW workers to "Get that rifle out the door".........!

Hey, but thats just me.........................

Tom
I am doing my best not to and that includes bullets, shotshell and Remoil.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
greenfox said:
A+ rating

So much for accuracy there.............They probably have connections (a filter) with the BBB........

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I wonder what the BBB uses for its criteria? I always kind of figured it it more or less dealt with consumer fraud and not necessarily with product quality, but could be wrong. In other words not fixing things that are wrong with product, or not refunding money for defective merchandise.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Oh man - - could you imagine a CONSUMER REPORTS test on the new Remington Rifles!?!?!?!

You think they (FG) might take notice to that? Also what is the latest scoop on the FG financially? I heard FG or Cerberus was in deep DOODOO financially.

GB45

·
Registered
548 Posts
"We don't do that"! That translates into we don't make happy customers. I can't believe you didn't come uncorked on that comment. That was a rep. Reps have bosses. Maybe over his head may have helped. Seems like they wore you out. The age old "if we give the prolitariate just enough" they'll stop complaining. Arrogance & condescension. I recently went looking for an e-mail adress to send a minor complaint to on Marlin's site. It appears there isn't one. Tells me they don't want suggestions or complaints. I have a hard time with that since my first 2 rifles were Marlins. All they're doing is driving up the prices of the used ones.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The fellow I talked to was the supervisor of the service reps, I admit he was a nice fellow, and I just refuse to rant on the phone, it is useless. they usually record the sessions, and in case I went over his head, he could tell his superior, I was belligerent.

My opinion, all this fellow heard me say was ....distrio, kouptyr, jabber wonky, #@%^. He could care LESS if My rifle was shooting ok or not..all he wanted to do was get another pain in his azz off the list.

I'm sure the rifle I receive will be another PITA.

Good grief!

C45

1 - 20 of 92 Posts