Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after waiting two weeks to shoot, my brand new 336 only seems to hold only 5 rounds. a few times i had to smack it to have the next round go into the chamber. is this an issue i should be worried about or does it just need to be broken in?

·
Super Moderator
16,523 Posts
Yes, I'd be concerned. The mag should hold 6 + 1 in the chamber for 7 count total. I don't think it matters but what Model 336 is it? There are lots of them from the 30-30 up. Sounds to me and I'm no expert that you have a problem with the lifter not dropping down enough to let the next round in. Check the gunsmithing section in the reference forum for possible cures. If this is new and from Marlin by Remington, I'd send it back and have them fix another screwed up rifle! If your Marlin is Remington made it'll have a little oval with Rem in it I think on the right side of the barrel close to the receiver, JM will be stamped on the left side if it's a true Marlin. Now then, Remington did put their stamp on some of the barrels from Marlin in CT for a while, don't know if they have used up all them barrels or not so you might have both stamps. For more info on the Remington/Marlin thing go to the Marlin Rant Forum. Others will be along shortly and sure to put in their $ .02 worth on your problem. Mr fixit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the barrel says its a 336c 30-30. but i ordered a 336w. i think one of the issues was the fact that i may not have been loading it properly, but who knows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it could be the springs are just still really stiff or too long. I have had stiff spring issues with every new pistol mag, nearly every new semi shotgun and tube magazine rifles I have ever owned or used at the range with a buddy, thats why every gun has a break in period. I fix it by loading and unloading it repeatedly to break in the springs, and what has worked sometimes is to load the mag as much as i can and leave it for some time to compress the spring.
as for having to smack it, if it isnt getting onto the lifter i cant help you, if its on the lifter and not chambering, look at it next time, did it rock off the lifter? I still cant really help with a permanent fix for that other than hold the rifle steady and pretty level so the bullet doesnt nose/rock off to where it isnt supposed to be. also i had feed issues with the winchester ammo, had a problem with the brass lip being too squared and catching before being able to close the lever.
good luck, hopefully it will work out and is just break in

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Even brand new, you should be able to get 6 rounds in the tube, no problem. My experience is that 6 fit in there no problem, if you try to stuff a 7th round in it goes about halfway and hits the stops. And that is with a brand new rifle. If you can only get 5 rounds in the tube, there's something not quite right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts