Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a marlin model 27 a pump center fire rifle in .25/20 i want to know what is the magazine spring length? for the model 27. its is a tube fed rifle that shoots and allways has shot very well , i need to replace the spring it has rusted away to dust. i have the follower and all just no spring? i now have the spring from numrich gun parts. so i need to know the length as they sent me about 4 feet of spring im haveing a hard time getting it into the tube at that length any sugestions as to the length? ,was told it needs to be cut to fit. what length do i cut it too ,have waited for three years now just to get the spring ,how much longer must i wait till i get the info from someone who may have the same rifle ,and could with little effort disassemble the tube from a like model measure it and reply? no info has ever been found for this very fine rifle. it has no id ,serial number , it has been in my family since the early 1900s when given as a promotional deal by a feed store company that sold my great grand father all his feed for his farm animals ,it has the marbles tang peep sight, a fold down rear (normal sight) and a hooded fold down front sight ,that has a post when folded ,down or a hooded post when folded up ,i have as a boy taken over 500 woodchucks in a single summer ,countless foxes ,many coyotes, and even a few deer but seems a little light for deer,but when a head shot is a head shot it works very well in that aspect too .i want to have and keep this rifle in good working order,, all i feel is needed is the spring length , can someone help me ? being left in a closet for over fourty years didnt do it much good ,do i have the only one ever made ? or still in useable condition as a single shot ,when the pump action would be handy to say the least .. [email protected]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tim--

I have a Model 27-S in 25-20 that awaits similar work. Its mag spring seems to be intact, but the thing is not in factory condition--it may be one of my ancestors' "make do" replacements. The outer tube and follower need work and the stock needs replacement. Mine--like yours--functions as a single shot currently. The rifle belonged to my great-grandfather, and was a working rifle at a mountain ranch. It saw some HARD use, for sure.

I can measure the spring length for you, but NO GUARANTEES that it will correspond to factory specs. If you have 4 feet of spring stock, you likely have enough material for at least two such springs. There are other sources for spring stock out there--Numrich is only one. Wolff Gunsprings is another, and Brownell's sells all sorts of spring stock. And--looking at the magazine dimensions of the 1894 series rifles--I would think a mag spring from one of those critters could be used or adapted.

Factory/OEM is great when it can be found, but nothing says a well-chosen replacement won't function well. Lemme go take a look at my rifle for a few minutes, and I'll get back to ya here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK--the magazine's tube length (not including release knob) is 15 inches on the dot. The spring's length is 18-1/4".

I'll E-mail this info to you, as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my single shot is missing the other six shots

thank you very much for the info i have one guy on this site trying to help me as well i love my old rifle and want it to be right before i let my beagle fox hound loose as allways i would only disapoint him if i missed with that one shot ,when i could please him (the beagle very much )with a sure kill after he has chased the fox over and thru the brush for miles ,and well my old browning shotgun would only ruin the pelt as i also want to tan it into a nice fur hat for my authentic back woods hillbilly outfit , sure would like to find a compleate rifle just for parts thanks again tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 6th year of searching ?

im still searching for parts for my MARLIN 27 pump rifle 25/20 wcf i need bad the magazine guts ,the spring i can get ,the follower i can not find i want this to repeat as it should seven shot not one at a time ill send postal money order to any one who can find and send the parts i need with a special bonus of extra MONEY on top of what the parts would cost ,so when at gunsshows across the country please keep me in mind ill pay and WELL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reward still there

my reward still stands plus cost of parts for marlin 25/20 model27s 100.00 reward and costparts plusshipping want them parts bad real bad magazine guts what ever is in there must be made of gold no one has any parts and those who do wont part with them ?please help find

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Tim, you can use any 25-20 magazine follower, lever/pump does not matter. It is just a small piece that goes on the end of the spring to push the bullets back down so they will load. One off a 22 may work (not sure of the size would go over your spring). You should be able to take a measurement on the inside diameter of the mag tube and you know it needs to be a little smaller than that to slide up and down.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The follower off anything else besides a .25-20, or .32-20 model 27 will not work! The follower for a model 27 is fitted exactly to the tube, and in addition has a small pin protruding from one side that catches on the slot in the mag tube, so that when the tube is extended for loading, it pulls the follower and spring back too. If it doesn't, the spring blocks the opening in the mag tube. This mag tube is exactly like the 1891/1892/1897 tube, just larger.
Tim,
I can get you dimensions of the follower and pin the next time I get a 27 in for repairs.
Vall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. Sorry to deviate away from tim582001's entry but I do have a Marlin Mod 27 25-20 question.

I have one of these pieces that I'm trying to establish a general value for. The condition is somewhere between G & VG - but certainly not factory shinny. Still, it is over a hundred years old. The parts are original and in good shape. The stock and forearm are in decent condition - the forearm has a slight crack between the screwheads but both pieces look very good. The screws are intact and not missing or reamed out. It has an octagon barrel. Question: This appears to be a take-apart model... were there any of these or were they all take-apart?

I've had this piece since the mid 70's - got it from a distant relative but don't know any of the history behind it.

Anyone care to give a high/low price that you've seen these sell for in the last few years?

Thanks, Max

1 - 9 of 9 Posts