Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Which color

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a chance to go to my LGS and pick up my 444. The furniture has been recoated with a dark poly/stain. Debating whether to strip and Ebonize the wood or buy a like new set on GB or go with the pink laminate that Boyds has.

I already have a 336SC in 35 and a 39A that I want to Ebonize so that is out. The blueing is very nice so it would look good with the like new walnut checkered stock set on GB. But for some reason the pink laminate stock set from Boyds is calling my name for this gun. Or do I go with the tried and true Red stock set from Boyds ; IE the red headed step child.
444 001.JPG marlin 2 002.JPG
I know the red looks great, I am sure the Walnut would look good but then it would look like all the rest. Something about the 444 and pink.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
Personally I want walnut on my firearms, it's your fire breather, so do what makes YOU happy. Can't tell from the pic on the left what color the stock is now ...just too dark of an image. Whatever you decide I'd would hang on to the stock set you have, you can always strip it and stain it the way you want later...you know in case you sell the gun, someone else might not care for a pink 444! Mr fixit

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I want walnut on my firearms, it's your fire breather, so do what makes YOU happy. Can't tell from the pic on the left what color the stock is now ...just too dark of an image. Whatever you decide I'd would hang on to the stock set you have, you can always strip it and stain it the way you want later...you know in case you sell the gun, someone else might not care for a pink 444! Mr fixit
I made the mistake of selling the stock set from the Red Headed step child project, that was a mistake. This stock set looks to have been redone with a Minwax Polyshades stain/poly combo that looks like crap. Plus the wood was hacked with coarse paper/grinder so the butt stock is junk which is why I have the GB stock set as an option.

COME ON GUYS YOU CAN VOTE !!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I know the red looks great, I am sure the Walnut would look good but then it would look like all the rest. Something about a
45-70 and pink.
I fixed it for you, the Left Coast .458 crowd, will be changing underwear, just thinking about a Pink 45-70 :biggrin:

Never ever put Pink and 444 in the same sentence again! :(

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is nice!!!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts

·
Administrator
28,300 Posts
I'm just going to say this and be done with it. If you go with the pink stock you could always relocate to S.F. :flute:

Walnut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she is your rifle to dress as you please.

Jack

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm not opposed to adding some unusual color to a rifle, but that Redheaded Step Child doesn't work for me. No. No. No.
And, the current birch stocks don't look good, and have sub-standard checkering. (If it's walnut, it's the lightest/softest walnut I've never seen...)

So, pink it is!

For a few years, I had a rifle painted in pink and purple zebra stripe 'camo', with a 'rainbow flame' barrel. It was lovingly called, "The Flamer". You can tell a lot about your fellow shooters, by the way they react when you pull out a pink rifle - and it isn't for your wife, daughter, niece, or anyone but you.

Hmmm... I guess the color on the barrel didn't photograph well. It actually transitioned through 5 different colors, ending with yellow fading into the pink base.
Not surprisingly, I had to strip everything and refinish the rifle to sell it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Frank, Oh my Goodness. I have friends that do things like that. LOL. If you pulled that rifle out, I think it would bring and end to the day's shooting for me. It's hard to shoot and laugh at the same time.
Hey, CC DeVille called and says he wants his rifle back.
-CC-DeVille-hottest-musicians-33203070-200-200.jpg

·
Super Moderator
25,164 Posts
I won't let my wife by pink towels/sheets/washcloths--etc. You gotta be kidding on a rifle. Good luck--you are gonna need it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nope, just couldn't do it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I voted for the Redhead in hopes that the blood from all those critters will not show on it. Plus the Laminates are very durable and much more water resistant.

Good luck,
Ken

Reactions: wannaBelkhuntin

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Did you put that wood on there on purpose..... Or did you lose a bet? :hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I just wanted to add....

That pink abomination was created for my wife. But, once it was done, she decided that she hated the rifle. (Go figure...)
Rather than strip the paint, I decided to keep it for myself, to add some variety while Pronghorn hunting (.243 Win).

Over time, the pink and purple grew on me, as it became a really good conversation starter with game wardens and other hunters. I credit that rifle, alone, with getting my foot in the door on sort of a "good old boys club" for depredation Pronghorn tags in western Wyoming. (The speed goats tear up alfalfa fields.)

The only regret that I have, is not trying to get more money out of it when I sold it. ...Because research done by myself and the Mossberg Historical Society indicated that it was the sole factory prototype for their 800B "Scoped Police" model (assembled from parts spanning 8 years of production).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Pink gun in macho hands on the left coast will be headline news cuz the lefties will know it's for liberal bashing on fox news!

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
I'm just going to say this and be done with it. If you go with the pink stock you could always relocate to S.F. :flute:
HEY!

Darn it, Jack - I never saw a single pink gun - rifle or pistol - in the hands of anybody, at any range within a hour of SF!

I'm a'gonna get someone to go into the "pink" part of town 'n extend an open invite to yer next birthday party/rodeo! (I can't go myself, on account'a they think I'm so purty...:biggrin:)

I guess them that like pink guns don't actually like to shoot 'em much...

Brocky

1 - 18 of 18 Posts