Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought 39M from a pawn shop, it was an OK deal for $325.00, maybe a little high but I'd seen parts guns (in peices) go for ~$275.00 and the poor ole girl needed some help, it looked sad. I had the money and the inclination and she looked like she needed a friend, ao I brought her home. She must have been someone's truck gun and it showed.

Some stuff I knew going in, other things I encountered as I'd worked on it.

When I got it looked like it hadn't been cleaned ever, there was so much goo and burnt powder packed into places in the receiver it was a whole night at the work bench with solvent, and old tooth brush, and toothpicks just getting it all out. The finish on the stocks was well all finished, chipped scuffed, cracked, and old. The stock had a couple cracks at the tang. The bluing in spots was rough and it had rust freckles in places. It had the wrong mag tube, it was aluminum and too short by 2.5", the action was in bad shape, she didn't feed well at all. It was missing the cartridge stop spacer and the ejector spring was broken. It had the biggest lever loop I've ever seen, I came to call it the "Gorilla Loop". I've got some pretty big meat clubs for hands but, even for me, it was HUGE. Even the trigger was covered in sticky grunge (eeeeewwww....)

Before Pictures:

So for the last few months I've been gathering up parts when I could find them at a good price, some new, some used. New take off birch stock set from a 44 Mag 1894 $45, correct length brass mag tube $20, assorted springs, screws, parts etc $40, new square lever $30 and a new folding leaf rear sight $19.

Late last week the last of the parts arrived and I really went to work. Lots of cleaning, polishing, parts swapping, and some filing to fit the stocks. I also had a couple Uncle Mike's Saddle Ring Take Down Screws around so I through one on for fun.

Initially I thought I'd do a complete re-blue but, after lots of elbow grease, 0000 steel wool and, Hoppe's #9, she looks pretty good. Later I may just touch up a few spots with some Oxpho-Blue and see how it looks. There are still a few couple boogered screws I need to replace, just need to find them. I may add a Wisner's extractor and a front sight hood for good measure.

For now though she's looking good and running pretty smooth judging from the aluminum dummy rounds she's been flinging around the basement. So were going to the range on Saturday for a little outing.

When I said the Gorilla loop was huge, I wasn't kidding, here it is with the new factory square lever.

Here's how she looks now. I wish my camera was better, it doesn't do it justice.

She looks allot like her big brother now.

A big Thank You to this forum for the advice, posts, stuff I've learned along the way.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Nice restoration on it.. Thanks for the complement on the forum we do try to make it the best it can be

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both on the compliments.

mr fixit I am feeling quite proud, I had my doubts at times when I found problems but, she did turn out nice.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Good project ziptar. I like it and can understand why you would be so happy with a great looking Marlin like yours.

bjm

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Ziptar, you have a lot to be proud of............you took a lost cause and made it into a handsome shooter. I salute you! :)

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Sweet! You did a very nice job in making your rifle suit you. Have fun shooting!

Take care.

Catherine

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again everyone, glad it received a nice reception. I was a little worried some might feel I ruined it.

Catherine, making the rifle to suit me is true for both my Marlins. Big brother is a 44 Mag that I bought at a gun show and had re-barreled for 45 Colt.

I've got it in my head now that my next Marlin will be an 1895 GBL with a straight stock conversion. :)

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Ziptar,

Nice job in restoring that 39. I'm curious about the type of take down screw you used, and also how you attached the saddle ring...............Looks real nice..........................But, Gawd, that Gorilla Loop lever is the uglyiest thing I've ever seen........maybe it would look so bad, if it was just a little bigger?? ::) ::).....What do you think?? ;D ;D

Nice job.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Very nice restore you did ziptar.......

I have to agree with Tom.....that big loop was fugly!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

Yeah the Gorilla Loop was hideously big, more than just fugly, I think it was so big it hindered cycling. I don't know if even bigger would have been better. Any bigger and I could cycle the action with my head. ;) or a telephone pole.

six_gunz, I'm in Mass also!

Tomray, The Saddle Ring was from Uncle Mike's. The Part # is 2371.

They haven't made them for a while now. They come up on eBay now and again every so often. Thats where I got the two I have. The first one I got excited about because I hadn't seen one come up for a while and I fired off a bid for the $39.95 open without even thinking, the 2nd one I put in a bid for $20.00 and wound up getting for $8.00. Makes that first one sting a little less. They show up in the For Sale forum here every so often too.

eBay seller jim3055fjgu makes and sells them also. I haven't bought one of those so I couldn't make a comparison between the two. The Uncle Mike's ring I bid $39.95 for was from him. He was easy to deal with, shipped quick, and was straight shooter for me. I'm guessing I bought the one he used as a template to start making them, a week after I bought the Uncle Mike's saddle ring from him he started listing his newly made ones. They look real similar. He usually has them up for $29.95 "Buy it Now". Currently he's only listing some for Winchesters but, I'm sure he'll have some for Marlin 39s up soon.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Mebbe you could nail the "Gorilla Loop" on the side of your garage and use it for a basketball hoop? ;D

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Ziptar,

What part of Mass are you in?

I'm in Gloucester and work in North Andover at an IR optics company......

Glad to have other Taxachusetts members aboard MO's!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Audie54 said:
Mebbe you could nail the "Gorilla Loop" on the side of your garage and use it for a basketball hoop? ;D
LOL! I hadn't thought of that.

six_gunz said:
Ziptar,

What part of Mass are you in?

I'm in Gloucester and work in North Andover at an IR optics company......

Glad to have other Taxachusetts members aboard MO's!
I'm in Winchester (odd place for a Marlin guy to live :p). I work in Boston at a college.

Cruddy day today.... :mad: Figures... The day I plan to get to the range. The club allows .22 Rifles on the indoor pistol range, worse comes to worse I could at least run some rounds through it and put it through its paces.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Ziptar,

Thanks for the info on the saddle ring. I was joking when I said "maybe that lever needs to be bigger"......but I think you knew that.........

You and sixgunz are talking about being in Taxachusetts............I can tell you both.........you won't be able to say that, once our new Gov in CT gets his budget passed...............Boy, he's got bad things planned for the people of CT.........................

CT is gonna emerge as THE MOST TAXED STATE in the country.

Tom

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tomray,

I heard something about the stuff in CT, I can't imagine anything worse than Taxachusetts.... More than the taxes, its just a crazy place. I mean where else can a guy carrying an an umbrella that has a samurai sword looking handle on a rainy day clear out a whole shopping mall because people thought he was carrying a "rifle". :eek:

It was quite a culture shock moving here from Florida but, it works for now. Long term, probably when the kids finish school, we have plans to go elsewhere.

BTW: That eBay guy's got more 39 Saddle Ring / Take Down screws up.

Shufly, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Better hurry if someone wants one.......only 2 left 'cause I just bought one! ;D

Thanks for the heads up on that ziptar!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts