Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started life as a standard 336 CS in 35 Remington. The guy I bought it from had put it away wet and the end of the barrel rusted and pitted. I decided to cut it down to get rid of the pitting.

That turned it into a 16 bbl carbine.

But I always wanted Guide Gun which feature a straight stock. Even though the biggest thing one is likely to run into in my neck of the woods is black bear, the thought of handy, dandy brush gun appealed to me. So I picked a straight lever off of ebay and cut the pistol grip stock and tang down.

I eventually sanded the stock down which brought out the grain.

I then cut 2" off the stock, adding a inch thick recoil pad. I also thinned out the fore arm and added a fiber optic front and rear peep sight (Williams Fire Sight)

Got myself a straight lever, brush busting 35. I did all this before big loops were popular or readily available. I may add one in the future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
looks great- Here's mine. It was a 336A waffletop until somebody d&t'ed it crooked. Since the collector interest was ruined I cut it to 16.25 and recrowned it then had to redrill and tap 2 holes. I still need to do a little fitting of the "pre-fit" pad and replace the bullseye. I've been carrying it lately in my quest for a certain bunch of hogs. It's more accurate than it has a right to be!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Cool beans but seeing it laying in a pile of bricks just makes me cringe!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Nice job, the straight stock is a good touch. I can't warm up to levers with pistol grips. I don't like loop levers either. In heavy cover they are brush catchers. They look stylish at the range but not much practical use in the woods. A couple years ago I was thinking about doing same treatment to a 375 Marlin. Then thought better on ruining a mint rifle and traded it off.

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Sweet! Good job. I've been looking for a beater in 35 to do much the same with.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Very nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts