Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
All the parts blasted and ready to DuraCoat. I really like working with this stuff. Its very forgiving and easy to spray.

Compound bow
Did a couple other guns while I was spraying

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Air gun
Did the stocks in lacquer because that's what I had .

So far the only issue is the front barrel band is to short. Say a 5/8 ths and I need 11/16ths. Anybody got some suggestions?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Very nice work. I enjoy working and customizing my own guns too. Short and sweet. I bet she handles real well in tight quarters. You got to give us some shooting info on the accuracy.

Reactions: myflatline

·
Banned
556 Posts
Flatline,

I just have to ask. If you wanted a coated shortie, why not go buy a new "y" 30-30 from walmart and $13 federal blue box to go with it?

Cool gun though.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
:top: Looks good.... how does that Duracoat hold up to scratches and stuff?

Doc

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know how she shoots yet, want to figure out the front band screw first. I bet its sweet though.

The crown I did with the brass screw method and lapping compound, I think it came out great. If need be I can always use a bigger headed screw

Why did I cut it? Bored ******* I guess.:biggrin: No seriously, I just like the usefulness of a short tight quarter lever action that can still do 100 yards easy.

T-T, I got this old abused 35 for a good price. She was in pretty rough shape, I was looking for a project gun and she fit the bill. Not sure how much rust is an issue in Texas but in Florida my pocket knife rusts in my pocket. No more issues and besides its a JM Marlin

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doc, I did my 30-30 a few years ago. Its been up and down the trees stands, through the ponds and dropped a few times. Not a scratch or rust spot yet. I might add in Florida we have mosquitoes the size of Robins, the bug spray (Deet)does not hurt the finish.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Just a suggestion but I for one would remove the band and go with a dovetail mount. Quite easy to do, use the hole retaining the end plug for the mounting hole. I done one a while back but made a special screw to use as a sling swivel mount. I'll post a pic and you may see how easy it could be done.

Just locate the area, spot drill through the mag tube plug into the bbl.

Cut your dovetail over that spot.

Spot the dovetail.

Remove and drill and tap for the screw you will use.

A countersunk screw in the mag tube plug would be flush.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Swany, I need the front ( out by the sight ) band screw

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good job flatline. I am in the process of doing mine. I cut both the barrel and stock shorter and made it into a straight stock as well. Front barrel band is a issue since the barrel is thicker farther back. Duracoat is next after I drill and tap the front sight holes..

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mac, been following yours, looks real good. Take extra care on the front sights, sometimes you end up with an extra set of holes that are tilted. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i used a dremmel with a little barrel sander .it fit inside barrel band perfectly.i carefully enlarged the insides of barrel band ,i was able to install it behind front sight ,same as it was before and used the same screw.
+1 That is exactly how I did it, except I didn't reinstall the front sight. Just sand a little at a time and check the fit frequently.

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Lookin' good MFL!:tee:

Reactions: myflatline
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.