Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good new is that I got a replacement 338 back from Marlin yesterday. My 338MX went back on Oct 22nd last year. It looks pretty on the outside; no mangled screw heads, no ground down rear receiver, and it cycles good. The action is a little rough, but not bad. The note that came with the rifle stated that the gunsmith fired the gun, cycled it and checked it for function and accuracy. Now the bad news; the barrel droops on this one too! It takes approx .04 shim on the rear mount to bring the scope into zero with a boresighter. I am highly disappointed, but I will shoot it, to see if it will group. If she wont group she's going back again! The rifle I received has a 9108 serial # and a REP proof on the right side of the barrel just in front of the receiver.

Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats and good luck. Not exactly instilling confidence when you have to shim up the scope mount. ??? We will all be eagerly awaiting what you find out after shooting it.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Man, I wish you the best of luck. I know you have been waiting a long time ::), Lonnie.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
What kind of base you using? this seems odd for a replacement rifle .. but not unheard of ..

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I have had to shim several scopes on my Marlins. Not a big deal to me. May be the rifle, may be the scope or scope base. Who knows?

Dave 8)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gunjunkie said:
What kind of base you using? this seems odd for a replacement rifle .. but not unheard of ..
I am using a Weaver 63B mount with Weaver low rings and Weaver K4. I also tried it with the mount off of my 308MX, and it also required shimming to get it to bore sight. The setup centers up perfectly on my 308MX without shims. It doesn't look like I will be able to shoot it until Thursday or Friday, and the suspense is killing me.

Gary

·
Registered
831 Posts
Since I picked up my old 338 2008 rifle, I decided to get a refund on the rifle that I sent in. So I'll see how fast that happens. This 338 shoots great and I was getting 3 shot groups you could cover with a quarter at 100 yards.
I'm going to shoot it at farther distances later this year.
I also just bought a Ruger Hawkeye .358 Winchester stainless rifle and will be loading for it also. I'll use the Ruger when conditions are wet.
I've been trying for hogs but haven;t got a shot on one lately.
Lots of tracks and sign especially after I put the sweet feed and corn out for them. I only see them right at dusk and use binoculars to scan the area. I see them around dark thirty.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hey Gary! now that I think about it .04 isn't much, Your scope should be able to take that out, I had to shim mine .40 and then adjust the scope up all the way at 50 yds to hit the center of the target! .04 still isn;t that grea tbut it's alot closer than .40 Dennis

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
stykbow57 said:
Hey Gary! now that I think about it .04 isn't much, Your scope should be able to take that out, I had to shim mine .40 and then adjust the scope up all the way at 50 yds to hit the center of the target! .04 still isn;t that grea tbut it's alot closer than .40 Dennis
You had to shim your scope more than 3/16 of an inch??!!! :eek:

I saw your thread about your issues but didn't realize it was THAT extreme.

Sad... ::)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stykbow57 said:
Dennis, its still more than I wanted to shim, its about 3/32" and its noticeable. However, if it shoots and groups well, it will be a keeper. If shoots good, I will take the mount to a machine shop and have the mount milled on a taper so it sits flat and wont need shims. I am still very hopeful that it will shoot good.

Gary

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gary 3/32 still isn't good, I wood have hoped for better, I milled my own mount on a marble slab and took off .40 and still have it just in case. You should be able to take off 3/32 pretty easy your self. Dennis

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stykbow57 said:
Gary 3/32 still isn't good, I wood have hoped for better, I milled my own mount on a marble slab and took off .40 and still have it just in case. You should be able to take off 3/32 pretty easy your self. Dennis
I am not thrilled about having to shim the mount, but I just want to move on; IF the rifle will group. I thought about doing it by hand, but my buddy with a milling machine owes me a favor...... I am also planning on changing over from an aluminum mount to a steel Redfield type mount.

Gary

·
Registered
845 Posts
Right on, I still haven't heard anything about my rifle but I see that you and some other are getting them back and seeing new ones on line so I guess my will be here soon for better or worse. Dennis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts