Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends , well this is my mx # 3 so far and up here it is a miracle I have any . All needed to be heavily shimmed .I get so frustrated because I hunt alone up here in Alberta , and A 338 seems very much my perfect caliber.I have had cycle issues to poorly made and mangled screws I do believe the bolts were cut with very dull Dies.I also thank you for this forum.I did ponder this thought ,can I really expect more , seems to me 500 dollars is cheap in the gun world today , my 348 and 45-70 are twice this with no issues but they are winchesters I love the marlin guns more this is my dilemma, so I have ordered #4 this time mxlr I hope to find at least satisfaction,

·
Registered
846 Posts
The 338 MX Is the perfect lever gun for just about any hunting situation! If you had to heavily shim the rear of the scope as I did it's a bad gun, where is the firing pin hitting the primer? Mine was barely hitting the primer due to the barrel being screwed in going DOWN hill. I just wish they could get it right because this is an awesome gun. You might want to read the rant forum or maybe You don't as it is full of Horror stories. Dennis :'(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In response to you , all of the guns were 91"s all 3 were within 1000 guns of production according to marlin. Interestingly enough all 3 had been machined differently my question is this . If i had all that gear after 1000 guns I will assure you I would get it right , one rifle was one-sixteenth of an inch receiver over barrel one was flush the last one was one-thirty second, why is this so . My swedish gunsmith tells me that, to be patient and it will get corrected , hmmm, I dont care much about if its a marlin or marlinton or whatever I just want a trusted companion,I am now 49 years of age ,my first moose at 14 years , 35 years of hunting under my belt . America has always been the best of anything and everything that was important to me in my life, and I am Canadian my my what has happened to all we hold close and dear to us .

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry was off on a tangent there , ja! my primers were hitting very low I am sure just like yours did.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well here's wishing #4 is a good one for you.
I recently purchased a 338mxlr from a MO member here. Few shots at paper so far. Also have a 308mxlr and a 30/30xlr.
When you get a good one it will be worth the wait!

·
Registered
149 Posts
It,s a crap shoot! There have been some gun,s from serial 92, 91&90 that r fine or just plain suck! We just have to go through the motion,s and weed them out buy sending them back until they lose enough profit that they realize it doesn,t pay to cut corner,s or quality to make a buck. If you get one with a issue, send it back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts