Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it cursed? You decide. Looks normal enough. If I looked up the serial number correctly it was manufactured in 1968. Anyway last year, (2021), opening day I was in a blind trying to quietly chamber a round of Hornady FXT 200 gr and since was going soft and slow, in an attempt to avoid noise, and it locked up solid with the lever partially open. An hour later using the only tool I had with me, ( a 20 year old cheap $1.00 screwdriver with bits that store in the handle), I had it back together and had chambered a round using lightning speed.
This year I saw deer everyday, up to 5 at a time, as long as I was carrying my 336 in .30-30. Even shot a nice 8 point with the ,30-30. After the 8 point I put the .30-30 away and brought out the .35. While using the .35 I didn't see a deer, any deer, ZERO Deer?
Not sure the .35 is cursed but...
FATBIRD

· Registered
498 Posts
Last year I passed up between 40 and 50 doe because I was hunting bucks. Changed to hunting doe, using an 1886 in 50-110 did not see a deer the last 5 days in a row. Daggnabbit. Gonna try the same guns again this year. Was hoping to get a doe last year with the 86 so I could use my 71 this year buuuuuuut.....

fatbird even if it's cursed I'll still give ya a $100 for it!:cool:

· Registered
403 Posts
i used to have a rem m760 in 308, that was same way. it was a good deer killer until i shot my first and only black bear with the 760. then it went downhill fast. i take the 308 out hunting deer and i would see nuthin. the next day, same place, different rifle equals killed deer. i still took took her out hunting for a couple of years and then i sold it.

my Winchester m94(1972) in 30-30 killed more deer than i could count and it was retired. 25 years or so later, i sent the 30-30 to JES Reboring and it came back a 35/30-30. i took her out hunting for the last 3 years and i filled a tag 3 times.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

· Registered
1,231 Posts
I thought it was just me that was jinxed. I feel a little better now that it is my guns. Probably my bow and definitely my fishing poles, too…

I think I may have used up all the luck of my Winchester 88 in 308. Nearly every time I took it out, I’d drop multiple animals with one shot. The last few times I had it out, I haven’t even seen anything to shoot. I love this rifle, I hope I don’t have to leave it home 😟

· Registered
713 Posts
I have the same issue with my fathers 375 big bore, its unlucky. I once shot a 200 lb buck with another rifle and the next day took the 375 and hand a very big racked buck walk by. It was doe only! some just breed confidence.
Some day the 375 my break the bad luck and I am thinking it will be a heck of a rifle when it does.

· Registered
3,181 Posts
Is it cursed? You decide. Looks normal enough. If I looked up the serial number correctly it was manufactured in 1968. Anyway last year, (2021), opening day I was in a blind trying to quietly chamber a round of Hornady FXT 200 gr and since was going soft and slow, in an attempt to avoid noise, and it locked up solid with the lever partially open. An hour later using the only tool I had with me, ( a 20 year old cheap $1.00 screwdriver with bits that store in the handle), I had it back together and had chambered a round using lightning speed.
This year I saw deer everyday, up to 5 at a time, as long as I was carrying my 336 in .30-30. Even shot a nice 8 point with the ,30-30. After the 8 point I put the .30-30 away and brought out the .35. While using the .35 I didn't see a deer, any deer, ZERO Deer?
Not sure the .35 is cursed but...
FATBIRD
Those deer were scared of that .35. They knew it would lay the smack down on them.

· Super Moderator
26,384 Posts
I know what you mean by cursed. I didn't see any shootable deer while carrying any of my Marlins for 5 straight years!

· Registered
2,207 Posts
Last year I passed up between 40 and 50 doe because I was hunting bucks. Changed to hunting doe, using an 1886 in 50-110 did not see a deer the last 5 days in a row. Daggnabbit. Gonna try the same guns again this year. Was hoping to get a doe last year with the 86 so I could use my 71 this year buuuuuuut.....

fatbird even if it's cursed I'll still give ya a $100 for it!:cool:
Being an Actual Cursed Rifle adds 20% according to Fjestad's Blue Book, so I can go up to $150, just as a favor of course.
Too bad it isn't under a Voodoo Hex. Extremely rare , and really ups the price.

• Haha
Reactions: Pereira and JFC3855

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Up until this year I had the opposite problem with my .35rem and .444.

When I carried the .35 I saw and fairly reliably harvested deer, and while carrying the .444 nothing. This year I decided I was just going to carry the .444 exclusively and finally got a decent doe last Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts