Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In, around or near 1980 my Grandmother, God Rest Her Soul, gave me a Benjamin Air Rifle. I hunted small game with it and it can shoot twice on 10 pumps and I took many a squirrel and rabbit with it. Recently I over-hauled the guts and now it shoots as good or better than it did new. I chrony'd the shots and at 12 pumps it will shoot over 800 fps. 10 pumps and it's around 760 fps.
I'm looking for a 342 in .22 Cal. My Dad had one that got stolen when I was a kid and I sure would like to have one to go with this one. PM me if anyone has a lead on one. If anyone needs a rebuild kit for an old air rifle check with Pyramyd Air. I've had a few dealings with them and they always treated me well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
great lookin' pellet rifle

Reactions: RamCharger

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Congrats and thank-you for keeping a classic pump gun in shooting shape!

We have an early vintage 397P and a couple of Sheridan Blue Streaks that are great shooters. We also have just every other type of air gun up to and including match grade PCP guns, but those old pump ups still keep doing a great job. Wouldn't be without them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We've all been guilty of overpumping those Benjamins. Just FYI, the old man who owned the original Benjamin company told me that one should never pump them over 8 strokes. Number one, you don't gain anything, kinda like you shooting 2 times with 10 pumps, the air valve will only pass a finite amount of air regardless of # of strokes. He said also that you are in danger of stretching the plunger air chamber, when you do that it will no longer compress air as the cup won't fit the sidewalls. Just thought you'd like to know. Sure wish the new ones were as good as the old ones. GW

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I had one in 22 cal as a kid. Its been long gone . I sure would like to find another. I will keep your info on rebuild kits in mind. I kinda like to snoop around yard sales. one day I hope to run across another one.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 days ago I found one on Ebay and was watching but it was removed before it ended, it was bidding up over 150 the last time I saw it before it disappeared.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts