Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marlin 336-R.C. 30-30 "Texan" saddle ring carbine - circa 1968

Note the straight grip stock. :) :) :)
I have no interest in the typical, run of the mill, pistol grip Marlin 336 - I likes me a straight grip stock on a lever gun and that's what made me jump on this one!

Aside from the mysterious missing bluing on the bottom of the mag tube, two tiny wear spots on the lever, and one tiny "dent" in the bottom of the stock at the bullseye, it appears in perfect condition - no other bluing wear and NO pitting whatsoever.
Not even a scratch on the butt pad. Even the bluing on the internal lever mechanism is barely worn from working the lever - I don't believe the gun has seen much use.

This carbine, like me, was made in 1968 - I only wish I were in as good of condition!

You will note that in addition to having a straight grip, my Marlin also has a rounded lever, not the "squared" lever that we are most accustomed to seeing on "modern" Marlins. (another thing that drew me to it)

It goes without saying that it is a "JM" stamped Marlin and not one of the current abominations that Remington puts out bearing the Marlin name.

Amazingly I grew up hunting the mountains and forests of western Pennsylvania and I had never shot a lever gun until I was an adult - and I don't mean "eighteen" either. I scored my first lever gun (Marlin 357 mag) about five years ago and have been in love ever since. I also have a Winchester 94 which is about the same age as this Marlin, and a Henry carbine in .22LR. They're like AK47s, AR15s, and potato chips - you can't have just one!
When I came home with this one, Mrs. EM looked at it and sez "Aaaaaand you needed another LEVER gun becaaaaause???

LOL!

Because they are AWESOME! :D

This popped up locally and was listed at $400. I almost passed on it, then asked if there was any wiggle room in the price. As I waited for a reply, I started to regret my hesitation - "Someone else is going to give him the $400, you dummy!"
I then sent a message saying that I'd take it if still available and asked if we could work out a small trade in ammo. In the end I paid $370 in cash and added roughly $30 worth of ammo that I had sitting around.
Good deal? Fair deal? Paid too much? I honestly don't care - I've gotten plenty of good deals before - sometimes you just buy it because you want it. :biggrin:

Stay tuned. Craploads of photos to come...

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Had it been me...I would have been all over that deal.
Congrats,I love it!

Reactions: Emptymag

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
My 1966 is like yours in the brass ring and rounded lever, but not near as nice condition. Yours is extremely nice, mine was priced higher. I traded items that I was into pretty cheap, so mine was a good deal, but would have gladly paid the asking price for one in the condition yours is in. Ya done real good! DP

·
Registered
316 Posts
Very, very nice. Can't wait for the other pictures. 8)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had it been me...I would have been all over that deal.
Congrats,I love it!
I'm glad it wasn't you. LOL! Thanks for the compliment.

I'd say you did well. That is a fine looking rifle. Looks like 30-30 cartridges on the table, or maybe .32?
30-30
Funny you mention a 32 Win Spcl... The day before this went up, I was looking to buy a 32 Marlin off someone else - I mean, who can pass up a rifle for $200?
The problem was that I asked 4 simple questions (since the seller didn't post a photo) and he only answered one. By the time I got a reply to one more of my questions this one came along, complete with photos and detailed description, so I just abandoned playing "twenty questions" with the first guy and bought this instead.
The ammo is cheaper and plentiful this way too. (I do have a Win94 in 32 WS)

My 1966 is like yours in the brass ring and rounded lever, but not near as nice condition. Yours is extremely nice, mine was priced higher. I traded items that I was into pretty cheap, so mine was a good deal, but would have gladly paid the asking price for one in the condition yours is in. Ya done real good! DP
Glad to hear the price was decent. I figured it was since run of the mill 336 "huntin' rahfulls" that have spent some time in the woods seem to go for around $300-$350.
Another bonus was it being local enough to drive to get - no shipping costs, no FFL transfer fees (legal between PA residents for long guns), and no tax - as it should be.

Very, very nice. Can't wait for the other pictures. 8)
Thanks! Here's a few more!

·
Registered
330 Posts
That is one gorgeous rifle! I think you got as good a deal as can be expected. Now, come on down to Texas and get a proper hat to go with her.

Waiting on a range report also.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
the rub spot on the tube is nothing that a little perma blue won't take of. i love that wood!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Beautiful Rifle.
That Ol' Girl Sure Has a Nice Butt.
Very Purty,
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the stock. Very pretty wood.

I have a similar rifle from 1964 but the stock is very plain.
Yeah, the wood helped me make up my mind.

That is one gorgeous rifle! I think you got as good a deal as can be expected. Now, come on down to Texas and get a proper hat to go with her.

Waiting on a range report also.
Thanks!
Yeah, I figured as much about the pricing. I didn't have time to do much research at all when I saw the listing, but I was familiar with the seller and assumed he was pricing it fairly.
I figured someone here would point out my sad excuse for a cowboy hat. LOL! (Quick Halloween costume from a few years back)

the rub spot on the tube is nothing that a little perma blue won't take of. i love that wood!
Yeah, was debating a replacement tube, but will probably try that first. It's clean and shiny - no rust/pits. I have closeups I'll post later.

Gorgeous Marlin! Congrats! Love the old Marlin Texans!
Me too. I just didn't know it until I saw it! LOL
I knew that straight grip 336s existed, but I had never actually seen one before. Around here, it's all pistol grip 336 for deer hunting for sale.

Very nice Texan! You stole it!
Thank you. I shall turn myself in to the proper authorities.

Beautiful Rifle.
That Ol' Girl Sure Has a Nice Butt.
Very Purty,
UncleSarge58
Always been a boob man, but yeah - I can see the attraction to the butts now. :D

Wow! Just, wow!
Haha

Very nice Rifle. I am going to guess the wear is from sitting in a gun rack.
That was what the seller speculated. Thinks the other hook may have gone through the lever since there are two tiny wear marks on the bluing there.
Odd that the wood is undamaged. Maybe they had it padded? Who knows.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Beautiful rifle, very pretty wood on that one. I love straight grip marlins.
I'm with Stevo, that missing blue looks like wear from a gunrack.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats, nice rifle and think you did very well. I really don't need any more 30-30's, but would have found that pretty hard to pass on myself... :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Real nice Texan there !!

I've got one just like it only a '65.

I also have a Winchester Model 94 and a Henry 22LR as well.

You did real well on the price.

Bill

1 - 20 of 49 Posts