Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember I returned my Remington 1895 SBL to Remington following a malfunction at the range which caused the gun to jam and found the loading gate sliding out of position. It is my constant companion hiking and fishing here in Alaska. It is a great looking gun, cycles all ammo smoothly, and shoots 1 MOA or better. Here it is.
1895 with Grey.jpg

While at Remington, I am happy to report they rebuilt my rifle according to current Quality Control standards including some internal parts, a brand new barrel (rifling), XS rail, and a good polishing. My original grey laminates did not fit to their current standards evidently and were also replaced. While there, I paid them fit my rifle with a new set of brown laminate stocks and a set of Walnut stocks. So, I have the Grey, Brown, and the Walnut now.

Remington has been a pleasure to deal with and I am impressed with their effort on my behalf. In my conversations with them, I was impressed with their commitment to the Marlin line and its continuing development

Here it is with the Walnut before my leather goes back on. I may leave the scope off as I have learned to like and trust the XS Ghost Ring sights at 75 yds and closer. I hope it shoots as good as the one I gave them.
1895 with Walnut.jpg
More pics to come when the leather goes back on and I wrap the lever.

Regards all. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Beautiful gun, glad they took care of you! My experience with them returning two of my Remlins for repair was also a good experience. They repaired everything to my satisfaction and paid for the shipping both ways. Hopefully they transfer the Quality Control from the repair process to the manufacturing process and we start to consistently see quality built Marlin's like we did before Remington took over.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Beautiful gun, glad they took care of you! My experience with them returning two of my Remlins for repair was also a good experience. They repaired everything to my satisfaction and paid for the shipping both ways. Hopefully they transfer the Quality Control from the repair process to the manufacturing process and we start to consistently see quality built Marlin's like we did before Remington took over.
Thank you. They were really good to deal with.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I am returning my gun for a 2nd time. Hopefully not a 3rd.

·
Super Moderator
24,971 Posts
Very nice bear killer that you have there! I like the Walnut stocks--great touch! :congrats:

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice bear killer that you have there! I like the Walnut stocks--great touch! :congrats:
Thank you. Love the Walnut on these guns. It looks like the STBL WWG ruined which was always my favorite looker. How have you been?

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
That looks great!!!!
My SBL should be coming home soon. Had her ported and a match crown put on her. Now you got me thinking about putting walnut on her.

Reactions: 007

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Doesn't porting make the gun extremely loud when hunting with it?

I shoot sporting clays and the guys shooting ported barrels are the ones
you don't want to stand next to when they are firing.

Reactions: XMAN

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Trapper, its a light rail... good for night time shooting, especially in Alaska where 007 is! You dont want to be out in the woods after dark without something like that if in Brown bear country.

Hey 007, Looks sweet! I know you dont like WWG but I do love my Co-Pilot they made for me... But yes it did take 2 trips there to get it right!

Doc

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's probably obvious to every one else, but what is that attachment at the end of the magazine tube?
It is a section of picatinny rail that I use to attach a light for use in camp at night. You could use it to attach anything that will attach to this type of rail...which includes nearly everything these days.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Where do you get the picatinny rail attachment that goes on the tube that you have?

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey 007,

Looking good now! (hope it shoots as good as it looks)

Later, Mark

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trapper, its a light rail... good for night time shooting, especially in Alaska where 007 is! You dont want to be out in the woods after dark without something like that if in Brown bear country.

Hey 007, Looks sweet! I know you dont like WWG but I do love my Co-Pilot they made for me... But yes it did take 2 trips there to get it right!

Doc
It's true. I have nothing good to say about them. They ruined a brand new STBL of mine....destroyed! Anyway, lots of people like the Co-Pilot. I use an old guy up here now who reminds me of that old guy from the movie "Shooter". Fine tuning or rebuilding just about anything for him is like working on paperweights. Thanks for the post. Regards.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Hey condition 1 it's my understanding that it does make the gun louder but it helps with muzzle rise and in theory should help me get back on target a lot quicker. Especially with my hunting load which is a 430gr lead sinker at 1725+ FPS muzzle rise is a bit of a problem.
It's just theory of mine that I'm putting to the test.

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Super Moderator
24,971 Posts
Thank you. Love the Walnut on these guns. It looks like the STBL WWG ruined which was always my favorite looker. How have you been?
I am still having fun in Afghanistan for the moment. I am due back stateside in July..then I will have to do all kinds of scouting prior to muzzle loader season which starts up in November.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hey condition 1 it's my understanding that it does make the gun louder but it helps with muzzle rise and in theory should help me get back on target a lot quicker. Especially with my hunting load which is a 430gr lead sinker at 1725+ FPS muzzle rise is a bit of a problem.
It's just theory of mine that I'm putting to the test.

I'm sure it will reduce muzzle climb a bit but it'll sure be loud when you touch one off!
A decent muzzle brake could have been added as well. They have them on the
Ruger Guide guns and they really do work.
I shot a 416 Ruger and while stout it was manageable with the muzzle brake.
The noise was really really loud tho.
Hope it works out for you. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I really like the looks of that gun, The walnut just sets off the stainless, got to have one like it. Will be searching the forum and else were
as soon as the 81 get's back from the smithy.
Team 45/70 #1214
John

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
007 that great new's and WOW! it looks Fantastic now with the walnut stocks. I am very pleased to hear Marlin took care of you so well. Hopefully that is the norm from now on.
JB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts