Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share some information and a few photos of my Marlin 1894CSS .357 Mag. that I ordered online last year from Olde English Outfitters (www.oeoutfitters.com) who, after a whole lot of searching, happened to be one of the only shops that have it in stock and for the best price.

I fitted the rifle with an XS Lever Rail and Ghost Rings (fit like a glove right out of the box) and attached a Vortex Sparc Red Dot Scope to it along with Butler Creek Flip Open Scope Covers — I love this scope, also have it on my Tactical Solutions/Ruger X-Ring 10/22. To finish it off, I attached an Outdoor Connection Padded Super Sling from BassPro.

I have to say, I love shooting this baby... she's smooth and consistently accurate.

Enjoy!

p.s. Also check out my latest acquisition, a 336XLR .30-30 that I posted yesterday at: www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/103687-my-new-336xlr-30-30-w-xs-lever-rail-scope.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Good lookin' rig! John

Reactions: KC TEXAN

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good looking rifle. I really like the stainless steel 1894. Someday I hope to own one...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice looking rig! Any particular reason for the Vortex Red Dot being mounted just in front of the receiver? Would just over the receiver work as well?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking rig! Any particular reason for the Vortex Red Dot being mounted just in front of the receiver? Would just over the receiver work as well?
It's an eye thing. Had lasik surgery two years ago... I can see distance perfect now, up close, not so much!

Reactions: raygun

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's an eye thing. Had lasik surgery two years ago... I can see distance perfect now, up close, not so much!
I understand, I only have vision at 2 oclock with my right eye which is my dominate shooting eye. Looks like your rig could work for me. The Red Dot is of interest to me as an option.

My Marlin has the Skinner barrel mount sights but I don't have a rail or base for it yet. Not sure what to mount on it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Vortex Sparc is hard to beat for the money. I really like the 2MOA dot. It's small enough for pinpoint accuracy. I have a couple of em on different rifles and Vortex VIP warranty is comparable with Leupolds. If I could make a suggestion though, You might want to flip the Butler Creek covers upside down so that when you pop them open, they rest on the rail instead of sticking up and possibly gettin tangled up in brush or broken off while hunting.
Upside down is a dang good idea, Troy! ... Goes to show you, if you hang around this forum long enough you just might learn something!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like it! Didn't know the SPARC had a 2x dot. Don't like the big ones for anything. I used a Weaver 2x pistol scope instead, but these make great scout rifles, whatever optics. What ya gonna hunt with it?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
324 Posts
Definitely a Zombie tool. And I saw your 30-30 post. That's great one too. You like stainless. I got used, blued, but nice enough. Looking for an used 35 now for modify to straight wrist and shorten, like a 35 "Guide". These are fun shooters.

Thanks for the response. Be well.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Nice looking rifle. Being a traditional old timer, I never cared for the stainless steel rifles until I bought one with dark walnut wood for my 44Mag collection. Now I think it is one of the prettiest rifles in the collection. The longer you have your rifle, the more you are going to love it. The 357 Mag. is a fun shooting gun. Congratulations
Coyote

1 - 14 of 14 Posts