Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1894 CB Limited 44MAG I picked up has a plug in the magazine tube. When I took it apart to change out the plastic follower is when it was discovered. It's about 5 inches long and made out of white nylon. It's removable, just wondering if it's for hunting in states with limited shell capacity? Any info would help. Thanks, Tommy.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
When I first heard of the requirement to plug a magazine way back when I was a little kid, I thought the guy telling me this was just pulling my leg.

On a related note, I've always wondered about obsolete calibers. I wonder what it's like to touch off a 4-bore?

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
I know that NY has a 10 round limit and I think in some situations--one can only carry seven rounds in a magazine. Perhaps this rifle came from a state with those kind of limitations.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Come to think of it, my Benelli 123 has a plug. It looks more like a cleaning rod. It's under the magazine end cap and fits down the center of the magazine cap stud.

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Super Moderator
11,169 Posts
The 1894 CB Limited 44MAG I picked up has a plug in the magazine tube. When I took it apart to change out the plastic follower is when it was discovered. It's about 5 inches long and made out of white nylon. It's removable, just wondering if it's for hunting in states with limited shell capacity? Any info would help. Thanks, Tommy.
Yes--Usually, in States that have a shell capacity limit your magazine cannot have the capability of loading in more than the limit (even though you only load the limit). The reason is that they think that you will load it up when the warden is gone and cheat unless the mag is physically limited with the plug.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Ohio has a 3-round limit while deer hunting. The regs do not require that I plug the magazine of my Model 1895. We in Ohio are apparently honorable since compliance is based on the honor system.
Yes, in Ohio straight wall cartridge firing rifles must only be loaded to three rounds, to hunt legally. A hunter can be asked to cycle his rifle until it's empty, and if there are more than three.... It's the same for pump shotguns, both for slugs and shotshells, only three. On the other hand, revolvers can be fully loaded for hunting. I didn't say it had to make sense. It's the government.

I'm just glad that Ohio saw fit to allow some (straight wall) rifle cartridges for deer hunting. Never felt good about carrying a shotgun for deer...

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
. . . I'm just glad that Ohio saw fit to allow some (straight wall) rifle cartridges for deer hunting. Never felt good about carrying a shotgun for deer...
Yeah, me too, HIKayaker. As a matter of fact, before I could use a Marlin, all my Ohio deer were killed with muzzleloaders (flint, percussion, and inline).

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
My 24" bbl .44 mag CBL had one also. 2 minutes to remove.
Do get a metal follower, because sooner or later, that plastic POS will fail.
LG
Replaced the follower, trigger, ejector with the WWG replacements and the factory hammer spring with the Brownells cowboy action hammer spring in both my 1895GS & 336SS.
They cycle, shoot, eject like a dream.

As far as the plug is concerned the gun was made in Ilion, NY and in NY you're not supposed to load more than 7 shells according to the Safe Act.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Ohio has a 3-round limit while deer hunting. The regs do not require that I plug the magazine of my Model 1895. We in Ohio are apparently honorable since compliance is based on the honor system.
If a LEO checks your gun in NYS and he can unload more than 7 shells from it you are in dudu.
Don't know if it is a felony or a misdemeanor.

The so-called Safe Act.
All the drug dealers and gangbangers are following it to the letter. ;)

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
If a LEO checks your gun in NYS and he can unload more than 7 shells from it you are in dudu. . .
While in my elevated box blind I had a conservation officer call me down out of it for a field check. He cycled my Marlin to determine the number of shells therein. I was in compliance with the 3-shot rule.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
In my part of VA, there is no limit on how many rounds can be in the rifle while deer hunting. I have hunted with my AR-10 in the past and use a 10 round mag. A banana mag doesn't work all that well in a tree stand.

Reactions: OLBIKER

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
My 24" bbl .44 mag CBL had one also. 2 minutes to remove.
Do get a metal follower, because sooner or later, that plastic POS will fail.
LG
The one I had also had the plug, which was removed promptly. The .44 mag CB Ltd. was bought in the early 2000s, and I can't remember exactly when, and I don't have the gun anymore to look and see as to when it was made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.