Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to check off another bucket list hunt this year by going to Challis ID and hunting unit 37 Lemhi area with a late cow tag. Planning on using my Thompson GreyHawk with open sights (front is fiber optic), Thompson Center maxi balls, musket percussion caps, and Goex black powder. Need to start working on load development as the gun is brand new unfired. Does anyone have any load data they would like to share? Thanks in advance.

Hoping for snow.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I would think 45-70 or 45-90 loads. They should be easy to achive using the Goex. Get both 2 and 3 F and see which your rifle likes.
I use a thin felt wad between my ball and powder to prevent fouling the charge. I DO NOT foul the bore before loading.
You should not need the musket cap to light real black powder. I am not sure it will fit in the hammer cup with out modification. I use CCI #11 caps and they give reliable ignition.
The key to good reliable ignition in a TC is to get the breech CLEAN and DRY. They have a chamber that is smaller than bore diameter and it can be a challenge to get clean.
I use brake cleaner to as a de-oiler in my muzzle loaders when prepping to hunt. A good spray and put my thumb over the muzzle and tip the gun back and forth and dump remains out. Word of caution here when the brake cleaner evaporates you can get a dry patch stuck down the barrel.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere that lacquer thinner was a good pre cleaner also? When I got the rifle last year I cleaned and lubed it pretty good. It will for sure need a good cleaning before loading. Only reason I like the musket caps is because of how easy they are to handle versus the "11's in the cold.

Sterv_ln do you just stick the little spray tube from the brake cleaner right in the nipple and let it rip?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
On cap locks I put a couple of cleaning patches over the nipples and spray from the muzzle. On my SxS caplock I put toothpicks in the nipples and then wet a patch and use the ramrod to force the Brake cleaner out the nipples, do the same on flintlocks.
Brake cleaner is around $3 a can. It also works knocking wasps out of the air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.