Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know when Marlin went to a larger muzzle diameter on the 39As?

Also, when was the most recent switch to checkered stocks?

I looked at a new 39A in a store the other day. The front sight and ramp were PLASTIC. Ugh!

Paul

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Brophy only covers to '88. The run-of-the-mill 39As were never checkered to my knowledge, only special-edition and commemorative models had fancy wood and checkering. The most common ones you see are the Annie Oakley models and "1897"s. And plastic sights on a 39 are just wrong. But at least you SAW a new one.

Barrel diameter varies over the years on 39s, wouldn't keep me from picking up a good specimen if it had an attractive price even if it was skinnier than some other year's production.

Stan S.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I hate to hear that about the plastic sights. Makes you wonder what will be next. I guess all manufacturers have to do what they can to keep costs down.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tall Grass linked you to the mystery of the 39A barrel-they're all over the place. I forgot to mention in that thread that my 2008 had a flat target style crown as opposed to the rounded recessed crown on most Marlins. My '08 rifle is very accurate, but the '47 comes very close.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I started the thread mentioned above. It looks like the larger diameters started about 1978 and continue to the present. I would add that in 1988 the crossbolt saftey and rebounding hammer were added and I would stay away from them. Find a nice older one they are out there. I bought a 1980 at a local auction that someone replaced the stocks with an original checkered 39 stock set. It is really neat.

Al Foust

·
Registered
635 Posts
Morning Stubbfarmer,

My 39AS , serial # 07253xxx, has the checkered stocks. If I understand the numbering scheme the first two digits being 07 would indicate a 1993 rifle. Do I have that correct?

Thanks in advance,

TallGrass

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's some beautiful woodwork!

Reactions: TallGrass
1 - 9 of 9 Posts