Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
They are two different things. A muzzle brake is designed to vent gases from your burning powder so that recoil is reduced, and the rifle recoils in more of a straight line to help you back on target quicker. Not to be confused with a flash hider, which is designed to dissipate the gases (does not make them invisible) so your position is not so visible to those on the receiving end of your fire.

Silencer: really no such thing; they are actually suppressors, and reduce (not eliminate) the sound of the weapon firing. You can get better results with a suppressor by lowering the velocity of the rounds you are firing, but there is a limit to how slow you can go and still be effective. With your .308, probably won't be much noise at all out at impact point, but that's kinda moot 'cause the bullet gets there before the sound anyway.

Hope that helps you decide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I know that silencers don't sound like they do on tv, I just want to know which of the two would make the recoil a bit lighter.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
What do u recommend on a Marlin X7VH .308 caliber. A muzzle breaker or a silencer.

Why would you ask this question? What is your purpose? What do you have in mind in terms of application? 4T57T helped you with a few of the differences between the two (or three actually), but why would you ask the question without qualifying it with the specific purpose that you have in mind for which to apply your newly gained, albeit limited, knowledge?

Neither, none, have an effect on recoil unless your are intending to load your stick subsonic ... which would defeat the purpose of that particular caliber/cartridge. One does add a counter effect to muzzle flip/rise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for sking a dum question but i want to use it for hunting and i know that is dum as well becouse the rifle is so hawy but most of the shooting will take place out of a blind where the rifle wil be on sand bags.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Sorry for sking a dum question but i want to use it for hunting and i know that is dum as well becouse the rifle is so hawy but most of the shooting will take place out of a blind where the rifle wil be on sand bags.
No question is a dumb question friend ... you just have to offer us more information. :)

Out of a stand, off bags, you should really need none of the above.

Flash suppressors, muzzle breaks and "flash hiders" are all designed with different purposes in mind. None of them should really be applicable to a stand type hunt with a .308 bolty. They are all expensive add-ons (when done correctly) because your barrel would have to be threaded for their attachment, or otherwise fitted by a professional, recrowned, balanced, etc. Plus you have to be very specific about which apparatus you might choose in each case - they all perform differently on different weapons, different calibers and with different propellants.

They are, most often, used by military personnel for hiding and/or confusing one's position and/or limiting or redirecting muzzle blast in confined spaces .... or, in the case of a flash hider limiting the signature of a muzzle blast at night which might also give away one's position. A suppressor is also used in confined MOUT type operations to limit percussion damage to one's ears as you do not want to operate in a MOUT environment with ear plugs given that you need to rely on your hearing for Situational Awareness purposes.

I hope this helps you to better grasp the different scenarios in which each apparatus might be applied?

For recoil reduction/reduced recoil effect ... I would suggest a recoil pad. Limbsaver makes a good one that I am particular fond of.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had a muzzlebrake put on my 300 weatherby. If recoil is a problem I say go for it. My weatherby was not painful to shoot it had a pachmayar decelerator pad, it was the muzzle rise and scope coming back at my eye that I did not like. I know shoot little bitty groups with it and a timney trigger I installed. Another note is noise. I was told to shoot with plugs and muffs. I tried it but in my case the soft orange plugs that expand well is all that is needed. First at the range it was like thor's hammer smashing a mountain when it went off. I had a guy 3 benches over say the shock wave was throwing his 22 rimfire bullets off target. We all had a good laugh.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
A ported barrel will reduce muzzle rise/flip. A condition due to the rifle or pistol barrel being higher than the hand(s) it.<BR><BR>A muzzle break will reduce recoil, but will be much louder to the shooter and those around him.<BR><BR>A flash supressor will reduce the flash coming out of the FRONT of the barrel directing to the sides and up and down.<BR><BR>A supessor/silencer will reduce noise but is difficult to do on most super sonic rounds as the bullet breaks the sound barrier when it exits the muzzle<BR><BR>Hip

·
Registered
394 Posts
Suppressors reduce recoil as well as noise. They are not as good as a top of the line break but they are better than the cheep breaks. The main problem with suppressors (silencers) is that there is a 5-6 month wait time and a $200.00 tax on top of buying the suppressor and having the barrel threaded.

Suppressors do best with subsonic ammo but they will make even fast ammo quieter than it was shot with out a suppressor. While I am not a big time silencer owner I do own one (45/70) and have been looking at two more (22lr and 357 magnum).

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
A ported barrel will reduce muzzle rise/flip. A condition due to the rifle or pistol barrel being higher than the hand(s) it.<BR><BR>A muzzle break will reduce recoil, but will be much louder to the shooter and those around him.
When he says a ported barrel makes the report louder, he does mean LOUDER. A guy I know who shoots on a university team and should know better. He could only find 1 ear plug when he was about to shoot a ported .243. He put the plug in his right ear (Closest to the gun) and the left ear was unprotected when he pulled the trigger. End result was permanent hearing damage to the left ear. Even if you see someone else ready to shoot a ported rifle or pistol barrel, cover up those ears!

·
Registered
36 Posts
In most of Africa, Sound Mederator's are required, and Muzzle brakes are forbidden because the PH's are standing in close proximity to your rifle. It re-affirmed that we are backwards to me too. Hunted in Swaziland on R&R and was told no brakes and asked where my moderator was at. Its very rude to hunt without a Suppressor if hunting in a group. I now have a few here and have firends who keep a few in Africa. But there you can buy at every general store or outfitter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts