Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to build a takedown rifle with a set of barrels around a particular family of cartridges. For instance a set that included 25-35, 30-30, 32 special and 38-55. Or maybe 218 Bee, 25-20 and 32-20 in a short action rifle? I guess anything is possible. What I might should ask is how feasible is a set such as those?

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Back in the good old days, you could of ordered it directly from Marlin. I am sure if you are willing to pay for it, someone can do it. I remember seeing new Marlin takedowns, somewhere. But it is just on one caliber, and it is still not cheap. So yes, it can be done. But it might be just as cheap, to buy 3 or 4 different guns.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yes, you can. The hard part would be locating parts. All calibers in the 1893 interchange and the sm ones are the same in the 1894 and the lg ones 38-40 and 44-40 will interchange.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't there be carrier problems on such a variety?
That is why I was thinking you would need to stick with a family of cartridges. .218, 25-20 and the 32-20 all use the same parent case and there are several other "families" out there. A project like that is too costly for my budget but it sure would be cool.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Such a set would be cool, take down barrels in 25-35, 30-30, 32 WS, 32-40, and 38-55. Five guns in one, but it would be cheaper and more practical to buy five guns, one in each caliber. If the takedown rifle breaks or is lost..........those other four barrels are not worth much by themselves.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You mean like this one? Saw it on an auction page some time ago. It was done by Turnbull and the barrels are .30-30 and .38-55 I think. Really beautiful work.
Don't remember the price, maybe 20k or so.
pix335855484.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
The only reasonably priced one that I can remember was the rimfire set made by Sako. It was a 4 barreled unit they called the Quad. .22LR, .22 Mag, .17 HMR and .17 Mach 2. Pretty cool if you are going into an area shooting a lot of different rimfire stuff. :)

https://www.sako.fi/sakoquad_features.php

John

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Few years ago I saw an 1893 TD with barrels in 30-30 and 38-55 at a local gun show. Very, Very nice shape and the price reflected it, out of my range at just under 3 grand. Sure did spend a long time at that table trying to figure out how to swing the cost and still live in the house, not the garage. Haven't seen it since, someone got it. DP

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Is it possible to build a takedown rifle with a set of barrels around a particular family of cartridges. For instance a set that included 25-35, 30-30, 32 special and 38-55. Or maybe 218 Bee, 25-20 and 32-20 in a short action rifle? I guess anything is possible. What I might should ask is how feasible is a set such as those?
You are correct about the family of cartridges. I knew a gentleman that had a Winchester model 1894 that had a 30-30, 32-40 and 38-55 barrel. What a great idea.
The magazine and receiver would be different for the other calibers you referenced. Don't think they would work in the 30-30 receiver.

djh.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I've thought about this for a long time. I bought a book years ago just to try to figure-out if there were enough cases in the same family, from the same case family, to make an attempt worthwhile.

It's pretty amazing actually. Far fewer rimmed than rimless, but still, it's doable.

Rimless is where it really gets fun, especially during the Browning era. Anyway, 30/06 can be necked down to 270 which can be cut down to .308 which can be cut even further down to 45 ACP.

But if anyone wants to know all the crossover cartridges built off of one brass design, let me know.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Greetings
I have a 33 Win 1886 Takedown and have thought off and on about a 405 and a 45-70 barrel additions. But reality strikes and I would have to save for years to get there. But that would be a nice set.
But alas it is not a Marlin... but the best I can do so far.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Greetings
I have a 33 Win 1886 Takedown and have thought off and on about a 405 and a 45-70 barrel additions. But reality strikes and I would have to save for years to get there. But that would be a nice set.
But alas it is not a Marlin... but the best I can do so far.
The 405 won't work in the 1886, but if you find a 45-70 barrel, you can fit it.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Do believe Wild West Guns could make it for a hefty fee.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
You mean like this one? Saw it on an auction page some time ago. It was done by Turnbull and the barrels are .30-30 and .38-55 I think. Really beautiful work.
View attachment 101531
You could probably buy a decent used pick-up for the price of that!!!!:hmmmm:

·
Registered
423 Posts
View attachment 101531
That really takes my breath away!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Too many calibers too close to one another. .25-35, 30-30, and .38-55 would be fine. Or just the 30 and 38.?

My Blaser is equipped with a .270 and a 9.3x62. Good for about anything over the size of rodents.

Honestly, for the money, multiple rifles are a much better priced deal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I also own a Blaser rifle, the R93, set up for .22 lr, .308 Win., and 375 H&H Magnum. It's my pride and joy along with my newly acquired 336s. A bit pricey? Yes. But, there's something to be said for the switch barrel concept when talk of imposing waiting periods, registration, or confiscation is in the air.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts