Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Mud Clean Up.....

700 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mrbb 
#1 ·
Just wondering if I'm the only one that tries to avoid mud in their 4WD these days..... going through it is fun, but the clean up leaves a lot to be desired. I drove out to the hunt'n land on Saturday and the usual water drainage at the bottom of a valley turns into a bit of mud hole. When it's full of water, going through it isn't bad because it falls off of the truck pretty easy making the clean up easier. Well yesterday the mud hole only had a little bit of water on top of it meaning that stuff had turned into red clay glue. I wasn't paying attention and I hit the hole in granny gear with not any speed and soon as I got into it, I started to feel the front end sinking and the truck not going anywhere. I stopped, got it in 1st gear, let out the clutch and stepped on the gas pedal and started to working the front wheels. The truck slowly went through it even with worn A/T tires, but for second there, I thought I got it stuck.. lol. Coming back through I went in with more speed and in 1st gear and made through pretty easy.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

I know this doesn't look bad compared to a lot of other mud holes, but considering I have 31in all terrain tires with about 1/4in of tread left, it made it interesting:biggrin:

Soil Geological phenomenon Grass Tree Geology

Note to self- Fix the pressure washer or get another one sooner than later.....

See less See more
#3 ·
And the red clay mud stinks when it gets churned up..... that stuff will clog any tire. Ya gotta be able to have wheel speed to clean them out so they'll dig in. Thank gawd the old truck has a locker in the rear..

#4 ·
well when I first started driving 4x4's
I looked for every mud hole I could find to test man and machine against mother naotures best
locals used to call me "Puddle Jumper" as if there was a puddle or water in a road I tried to go thru it LOL
then after a few stock trucks, and getting stuck a LOT, I started making bigger trucks to play in the mud, from mild lifts, to all the way up to monster trucks,(72 inch tires) and got them all burried at some point in time, and just took bigger and bigger tow trucks to get me out and costs $$$ more too LOL
I even did some semi pro mud bogging for a few yrs,ONLY them never got stuck unless I broke something , they had the hp and speed to more or less stay on top of mud in the race's anyhow!

now a days, I do my best to NOT get stuck or even into the mud much
not so much due to I hate cleaning, I just believe that geteting into mud and water wears parts out, and if its on lands I care for, I end up going back and fixing the ruts I made, making more work for me
I tend to use my atv when its muddy or soft ground when I can
as here they do a LOT less damage and they take the abuse a lot better and cheaper to fix than my trucks
young and dumb, it was fun , even breaking stuff or so I laughed about it when it happened
now I hate paying to fix something, if I just used a little mroe self control, it wouldn't have maybe broke
to those that still enjoy the mod have at it, it was fun and I have tons of great fun memories doing it too
just looking back now, I'd love to have the cash back I spent play in the mud LOL

this was the last time I got stuck too, spring thaw last yr, ground was frozen going in, then almost no bottom coming out, tried to go into a shady area off the road in this small field, hoping it was more solid, and sank like a rock
my truck sits on 33 inch tires and my door are well over 2 ft off the ground, and I almost wasn't able to even open my drivers side door LOL

took a bigger 4x4 tractor to pull me out, and even that had to wait till night fall for the ground to freeze up first, so truck sat there for about 6 hrs till ground froze enough for tractor to get to it,so it could pull me out, wasted a full day LOL
but again, the mud/getting dirty didn't bother me as much as all the time wasted did, own a pressure washer, and that makes some quicker work of mud for me!

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Grille
Automotive exterior Bumper Car Soil Vehicle

#6 ·
the only time I got my 95 ram 2500 super cab 8' bed stuck me n a buddy of mine were playin in an old hog pen. That muck never dries up completly. I had 33/12.5/16.5 mud tires follerin him in a 72 f100 with 35/12.5/15 and sit mine on the axles. Couldn't open the door even. Sit bout like yers really. Took a backhoe to get me out. We played in that hole fer the rest of the day. Mud stayed on my truck fer a month afore I finally got round ta washin it. It was also work on farm truck so washin it was really pointless to me.

#7 ·
Hey Lt, instead of gettin' the power washer fixed, you can get somethin' like what nissan is offerin'!:biggrin:

#9 ·
HAHA, well there are several so called products out there that CLAIM to work like above video
BUT I can never see that coating, and thats what it is, a coating, lasting thru a full yr or two, the sun, UV< chips, scratches, wear and tear of JUST time, would stop it from lasting
a very fresh polished and waxed vehicle will shed most things rather well too, but a few days/hrs last the UV and grim stop the slip action of the polish, and BAMB< a dirty truck we have again LOL

me, I'm a red neck I guess, IF I could have truck built for me, I woul have the whole thing top and bottom inside and out, all covered with a good spray on bed liner, like rhyno liner/line x
that stuff is bomb proof, look it up video's on youtube of them blasting it and it holds together
doesn't allow rust, take abuse, and well dirt and mud will stick to it, , it won't get to the metal and make rust
so who cares them if you have a dirty truck LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.