Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would share this here but recently bought this MP mold for use in a couple of Marlin 1894s in .44 magnum. This mold was part of a group buy on Cast Boolits and was advertised as a clone of the Lyman 432640 Devastator. The Devastator was actually the first mold I ever bought and is still one of my very favorites and is accurate in anything I have ever tried it in.

For those unfamiliar with MP molds, they are made in Slovenia using CNC machinery and are probably the finest molds available today. I ordered the brass 4-cavity .432 hollow point version but opted for the plain base design since these will mostly be used with subsonic and low velocity loads. As you can see it came with an assortment of parts including a dedicated nose punch, though I no longer use a traditional lube sizer since I started powder coating.

There are four different pins that can be mixed and matched to cast a variety of hollow point types or a solid flat point. Comparing a bullet cast from the actual Lyman mold shows the MP cavities are a little shorter so this is not a true clone. I was a little disappointed to see none of the pins are rounded on the end like the actual Lyman mold but this would be easy to fix on the lathe if desired. Anyway I'll post some more photos once I can find time to fire up the casting pot.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
How do those shoot with that massive HP? I modified a old Ideal 330 Gould Express Hp mould .457 for a 45/70 to use in a 455 Colt.
I got it down to 272gr with massive flat bottom HP cavity. I was after 265g but thought I was close enough for a cartridge that only
has MV of 600fps. Bullets were key holing and shotgun groups at 25' I ened up filling cavities with wax to focus them to a tolerble
accuracy. If you shot one of these bullets down range they made a buzzing and whistling sound without the wax. Poured 20:1, lead
tin they opened up even in small varmits like groundhogs. I shot a few out of 1895 against hanging steel plates. The bullet would
splash and disappear into fragments. Other than groundhogs the only thing I shot with these bullets was a 30' shot on coyote. I hit
him right in the middle, broadside. A lousy gutt shot, it killed him in his track, looked like he had been hit with a 22/250 from exit
hole.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I have some cast from the Lyman mold, they are pretty accurate in both of my 44's and 444's. The lyman mold is a lot slower process because it's a single cavity and pin setup. I do like the MP bold better because you can go from HP to solid by changing the pin and the pin options you have with yours. What alloy are you going to use and does the use of PC have any affect on expansion?

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wound up modifying a couple of the pins on the lathe to copy the hollow point profile of the original Lyman 429640. These bullets measure .432” as cast and average 254 grains using range scrap. I sized them down to .431” then powder coated for an average diameter of .432-433”. The MP bullets are a little shorter and lighter than the Lyman bullets but they cast fatter which is good. Loaded 50 rounds earlier using Trail Boss powder and am planning to test them over the weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.