Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at retirement in 7years, want fishing, adventure, hunting, adventure, find a small place OFF THE INTERSTATE. but not too far from hospital/clinic, a few ammenities- looking at the tri-state area Idaho, Washington, Oregon. Any folks have experiences? I'm moving from Wyoming.

·
Registered
363 Posts
suzyq!

i certainly don't live out there but i traveled through oregon and washington both for 2 weeks each a couple of years ago.

the place i liked best and seems to have lots of possibilities was around rogue river, oregon. it's close to the siskiyous (i know that aint spelled right!) and there is a lots of hardwood forest there. i didn't know they had those.

the rogue is a well known steelhead and salmon stream.

i don't know about the hunting but i know they have roosevelt elk and sasquatches(allegedly!) they definitely have gray squirels cause i saw the varmints!

anyways, i was impressed with the diversity of the area. the ocean is pretty close by as well.

will be around jackson soon fishing in the yellowstone, madison, firehole, gibbon and snake. am looking forward to it!

luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check it out

Thanks Squacks, I'll check it out-Guess I'll have to up the the wt on the fly rods from a 6 to 8? ( oh no another Cabelas trip :lol: ) Last night the furnace kicked on, it was in the 40s- weird weather,maybe an early Fall. In the Fall I hit the cheese factory in Thayne and then buy a bushel of apples for pies, the closest thing to the farmers' markets in Wisc. Hope your Jackson trip is great! Waters are high and Clear!

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
SUZYQ said:
Looking at retirement in 7years, want fishing, adventure, hunting, adventure, find a small place OFF THE INTERSTATE. but not too far from hospital/clinic, a few ammenities- looking at the tri-state area Idaho, Washington, Oregon. Any folks have experiences? I'm moving from Wyoming.
SuzyQ-Nothing in Oregon or Washington even come close to North Idaho...Not even close..Look up Bayview Idaho on the internet or Garfield bay or even Sandpoint and Courd'alene.Love it and alot of people but there is know place like it...Period...

Jayco.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
SUZYQ said:
SuzyQ-Nothing in Oregon or Washington even come close to North Idaho...Not even close..Look up Bayview Idaho on the internet or Garfield bay or even Sandpoint and Courd'alene.Love it and alot of people but there is know place like it...Period...

Jayco.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
SUZYQ said:

Jayco.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful country, but don't want Wyo type winters

Jayco- checked the Idaho Atlas- wow beautiful country! I'm wondering tho if it has similar winters to Wyoming, 6mo a year. I'm trying to get away from running a furnace for 6mo- maybe that's unrealistic, to have really good hunting fishing, mountains, and ittybitty winters...... :roll:

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Re: Beautiful country, but don't want Wyo type winters

SUZYQ said:
Jayco- checked the Idaho Atlas- wow beautiful country! I'm wondering tho if it has similar winters to Wyoming, 6mo a year. I'm trying to get away from running a furnace for 6mo- maybe that's unrealistic, to have really good hunting fishing, mountains, and ittybitty winters...... :roll:
SUZY-North Idaho is pretty mild especially the Coeurd'lene area.Pretty much the same weather as Spokane Washington.We spent the last 4 years in a Jayco fifthwheel up there and I never had to shovel the roof and nothing ever froze including the many lakes open for fishing year around.Farther North snow accumilates more but temps arn't that bad rarely below zero if that.Two bad months if that and thats good after living for 38 years in McCall Idaho where it snows in July sometimes and snow on the ground for like 8 months..Hard on an old fella.

Good luck on your choice.........Jayco

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Realtors don't respond

Thanks Jayco for the info. But dangit, you know, I emailed Realtors listed online, and 0 out of 4 replied- I was up in Lander WY last week, and contacted a realtor there just to see what was what, and what they had, and I got an appt with a real nice person, who then grilled me on where I was from, and why I was intersted in living there, like 50 questions- maybe folks are a tad nervous about the upcoming election and terrorism. :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts