Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm packing up the family(7 month pregnant wife,and 2 kids) and leaving Whittier Califonia, 2860 miles to Prospect Connecticut. I flew back for a job interview a couple weeks ago on a friday,got the job, found a house after searching all day saturday and flew back sunday morning. That monday night I listed my place and Fed Ex'd my bid back to Ct. Tuesday I got the word that they took my bid and I sold my house for 10k more than I offered it. I'm leaving a 60 year old 1026 square foot house east of east L.A. for a 1900 square foot colonial on an acre and a 1/3 built in 1994. According to my bow hunting neighbors the deer use trails along the creek at the edge of my property as a run on their way back into the woods. My mom is originally from there so I have lots of extended family back there. I've had to fly back the last 4 thanksgivings for the Whitetail rifle season. Shoudn't be a problem this year. :D
Brian

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wish you good luck. I've never been to New England, but from what I hear its pretty liberal. You are probably used to that , being from California. Anyway, there is pretty good deer hunting in the northeast. You will surely give your rifles a workout. The weather will be different too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
260brian I recognize you from JHO. Have a safe trip and keep your wife comfy. Congrats on the new home and job. We'll keep the forums open for you.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
260Brian,

Welcome to the north east!
Where is Prospect?
I live in south western CT, Fairfield county. There are alot of deer here & if you bowhunt land acess isnt much of an issue. The bag limits are generous too. You get 2 tags each for buck & doe & if your in fairfield & I believe Litchfield counties you can get replacement doe tags till the quota is met (which never happens)
Further north the attitude is more firearm friendly than it is here. I live too close to NYC & alot of people here think guns are for bad guys. :oops:
That's not to say all New England is like this, Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine are all great places to hunt & guns arent a problem. CT itself isnt so bad either. Rifles are a simple over the counter purchase if you hold a hunting license, handguns are a lot more trouble. You more or less need a carry permit to buy a handgun here.

Bout the worst place in NE would be Mass as far as guns go. They used to have a sign when you crossed the border from CT about Illegal guns & how they enforce their laws. Never felt comfortable there after I saw that sign. I try to get thru Mass as fast as possible when travelling north, the place just gives me the heebie jeebies.

I wish you all the best in your new home & once again welcome to New England.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I made it out here. I left on a friday late morning towing my wifes car with my 94' chevy z71. We made it here sunday evening around 6:30. We saw some Elk in Az. and a bunch of dead deer along the road in Pa, and Ny. It was fawn dropping time so I guess the doe were a little out of their mind. Prospect is next to Naugatuck and Waterbury, about an 8 mile drive to my new job so can't complain. I haven't seen many deer yet but my neighbor said that 2 walked across my front yard and into his drive way friday morning around 5:30. There are some woods in my backyard with with several well used runs along side the hill heading down into the water company forest land. The state has an archery permit that requires some class so I need to get that out of the way before the summer is over.
Brian

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Brian,

If you bowhunted in your old state & they required a saftey course then all you need to do is show the certificate from there. An old license might even work but I'm not sure. Might be a good thing to take a course even if its not mandatory. Most are run by local archery pro shops or DEP personel, either of which can help with any questions you might have & suggest good areas for you to hunt. They also give a good oportunity to meet other hunters in the area.

P.S. Naugatuck has a large state forest (for CT) that I believe you can hunt with muzzleloader & shotgun as well as bowhunting.

Good luck & welcome!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Congrats on your new location & work! I hope your Wife & Kids adapt well to your new area.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its archery deer season too. Took the class a couple weeks ago and now have the tags for 2 bucks and 2 doe. Last weekend I was out and the only thing that wondered by my stand in the raging rain was about 20 turkeys all hens and youg ones.
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Brian,

welcome to CT. I'm not far from you in North Haven and have cousins that live in Prospect. There's a nice little gun shop in town on RT 69. Its on the right going towards Waterbury.

Hope your family is doing good with the move and give it enough time as you have alot deer in your neighborhood with the Naugatuck State Forest close by.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts