Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some sights enroute to my abode. The sights are made by NEG and require the barrel to be drilled and tapped. Has anybody here installed sights on an XL7? Does mounting a sight at the end of a barrel effect accuracy? Im totally in the dark about the subject and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
No it shouldn't affect the accuracy of your rifle unless they're not mounted right and only then will they affect anything. If not mounted straight and true you may not be able to get it hitting where you want it to.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to have a gunsmith drill and tap it. I understand that there is a jig for the job. I prefer having open sights for a back-up and, well, I think that open sights just make a rifle look better. My X gun is becoming my show car and my 444 is still my primary car for race day. I plan to shoot the x gun at a bench more than hunting with it, but, you never know. I bought my XL7 30-06 to back up my 444 and it still might fill in in that role someday.
Anyways, here are pics showing what I have coming

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
That's going to look great. Post pics when it's done, will you? Also where you got those sights because I need some...

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are NECG brand sights that I ordered from MidwayUSA. They are screwed to the barrel, but because they are steel, they can be soddered if you want.

·
Registered
386 Posts
mt_sourdough said:
They are NECG brand sights that I ordered from MidwayUSA. They are screwed to the barrel, but because they are steel, they can be soddered if you want.
Have you talked to the gunsmith about this? I'm not questioning you because I honestly don't know but here is my concern. Is the barrel thick enough to drill & tap for sights, would it still be safe losing some of the thickness? I know alot of rifles used to come with them but they were made for them. I would think you'd want a solder job.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, you might be right about that. I know one thing, I am going to let a reputable gunsmith do the install and I will certainly ask that question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts