Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again.

I have a question about mounting a scope on a 336. I have a Millet 4X32 scope that is a compact model. It is shorter than most scopes. I have a Weaver 63B base but the cross slots on that base are too far apart for the rings to fit inside the objective and eyepiece bells. So, I'm having the gunsmith shorten the base and cut a new cross slot so the rings will be a distance apart from each other that will fit my scope.

Here's the problem - I'm afraid that the compact scope will now sit right on top of the receiver in such a position that it will be too far away from my eye. The scope has a 3" eye relief.

So, has anyone had any experience mounting a compact scope with 3" eye relief on a 336? How do you get it mounted solidly but have it far enough back to be the right distance from your eye in a normal hold?

After having found this forum I wish I would have bought a shotgun scope with a longer eye relief and shorter parallax. But alas, the purchase has been made.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I bought a 4X Nikon designed for .22's. A check with Nikon says that recoil is not a problem but the paralax is more for the ranges of .22's etc.

That said I thought it was a pretty compact scope but will fit a standard scope base. Now the Q I have is where does the eyepiece end up? On mine the eyepiece sits about 3/4" closer to the butt than the hammer at 1/2 cock. Also it has about 3" of eye relief so if the back of your scope is in that range you should be OK.

FWIW I could shoot it well if I had to move my head up to an inch closer to the reciver. I would think that you will be OK.

Let us know how it works out!!

B.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Kart29,

I mounted a 4X compact Millet scope on a 336 using a Weaver base. I filed a new cross slot in the base to correctly position the scope. I got proper eye relief by placing the scope on the rifle and looking through the scope.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Kart29,

I've mounted a scope on a Marlin a time or two. ;) First of all, you should know where you want the scope mounted before the gunsmith starts cutting on the base. How could he possible know where to put the new cross-slot(s) without knowing where the scope needs to go? Secondly, if he shortens the base then he will have to drill new holes in the gun too, unless he just trims off the overhang on the front of the base and leaves the factory holes alone.

If the scope needs to go more forward than the factory cross-slots allow, then make a new rear cross-slot in front of the original rear one. If the scope needs to go more rearward than the factory cross-slots allow (doubtful), then make a new front cross-slot behind the original front one. In either case, shortening the base and/or drilling new holes in the gun should not be necessary.

If your scope only has 3 inches eye relief, I hope your gun is chambered for a small round. If the gun is a 35 or 45-70, you're gonna need stitches.

Live well

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it's a .35 Rem. You really think that's not enough eye relief, huh? The manufacturer suggested the scope was appropriate for shotguns, blackpowder, and dangerous game. I think my 12 ga. w/ 2 3/4" slugs has more recoil than my .35 Rem. so I figured if the scope worked on shotguns it would be okay for this rifle.

The gunsmith is supposed to be keeping the rearmost cross slot in the base and making a new forward slot for the compact scope, then just lopping off the extra base that extends forward past the forward receiver screws.

But, the gunsmith never checked with me to see where to mount the scope. I figured a gunsmith would ask about that but he didn't. But hey, he's the expert, right so if he didn't ask about it I just supposed he knew where to put it. Now I'm not so sure.

Does anyone else concur that you need more than 3" of eye relief for a .35 Rem?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Kart29,

Never shot a .35 Remington, but I've put alot of ammo through a 45/70 and I believe that 3" is adequate. I used a 3-9x scope on my Guide Gun for awhile; it had about 3"-4" of eye relief and I never got hit by the scope.

Body size and position can make a difference from shooter to shooter.

The Millet 4X32 Compact scope that I have has 3" - 4.5" of eye relief. I was able to mount the scope without trouble, I'm sure your gunsmith won't have any problems. He can check eye relief since he has your rifle.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Kart29, You have the right idea about mounting a compact on the 336. I done this on my 336A and used a 2.5 compact by simmons about $40 at Wal-Mart. The one I bought and used was a shotgun or blackpowder scope with intermediate eye relief. I mounted it as far fwd as possible giving me around 6 inches eye relief. I can literally just pull up and it is there everytime. My final advice just cut to the chase and spend the extra it takes to get this for yourself you will never regret it. Your mount may not need altering. If it does you could do it yourself as stated with a rat tailed file or dremel tool as the notches are nothing but clearence for the cross screws.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got the gun back from the gunsmith yesterday. The scope does look a LITTLE out of place on the lever action. Just doesn't look like a cowboy rifle anymore. Oh well, as far as scopes go, I think the compact scope looks pretty good on the rifle and will serve the purpose of keeping the gun light and fast handling.

I'll go shoot it tomorrow and see how much I bleed all over the car before I make it to the hospital for those stitches. :shock:

I'm not so sure I needed a gunsmith to mount and boresight it for me. I think I could have done it myself and done just as good or a better job than the gunsmith. Plus, if I'd have just purchased my own boresighter I'd have it to mount other scopes in future.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a bore sighter. Personally when I start pretty close around 25 yds or so at sight in I can get pretty well dialed in fairly quick. Then I move out how ever far I'm sighting in. When I figure the cost of my reloads I would need to do an awful lot of bore sighting to justify the cost.

My experience with the .35 is in factory level loads the recoil is very similar to a 30-30 so if you can see through the scope well you shouldn't cut your eye.

If the scope offends you by it's uglyness the only cure is to run not walk to your nearest dealer and buy another Marlin W/O a scope.

Edit to add: let us know how it shoots, range report!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
swany,

I currently have the same Simmons 2.5x as you on my 1895G. What a sweet little scope! I made a new rear cross-slot on a Weaver base forward of the original, and the scope mounts entirely in front of the hammer spur.

Live well

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bman said:
If the scope offends you by it's uglyness the only cure is to run not walk to your nearest dealer and buy another Marlin W/O a scope.

Edit to add: let us know how it shoots, range report!!!

Hmmm. I will be visiting a local gun show on my way home from work tonight. Oh Lord, lead me not into temptation! :)

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: Just a note. Big Redhead's method of mounting the scope entirely in front of the hammer is one of the finest modifications to a Marlin lever rifle I know of. You owe it to yourself to at least think about it for a minute or so and the advantages will become obvious. Take care, BestLever

1 - 12 of 12 Posts