Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you put a sling on the 336SC? I have a 1950 336SC without a way to put a sling on it, I have seen a bunch of other 336's with slings but mine has no provisions, I'd prefer to not put a stud in the wood if not neccesary and dont like the wrist thong idea because they get in the way. I'm starting to think I bought the wrong rifle btw, no scope, no sling, its really turning into a wall hanger.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That is the problem all right; Keep the original looks and style or personalize the gun to make it more user friendly...In my opinion, putting a rear sling stud in the wood isn't a big deal. I would install a sling on the gun....if there is no rear barrel band sling attachment, I would buy a new one with the stud attached and keep the original band in case you, or another owner, want to return it to it's original look. If your gun is a waffle top 336 and you want to scope it, then I would suggest that you sell it and use the profit to buy a later JM model that is already drilled/tapped for a scope. Just offering my opinion...hope everything works out!

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you look on ebay there are a few that clip over the feed tube. I have one on mine and it has a plastic film on the contact area so it does not scratch the feed tube/barrel. This also fits the barrel. I am not of the notion that every Marlin is a collectors item like most are on here. You bought it, do what you want to it and make it yours.
marlin 003.JPG
Mine is a 1955 336 SC

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Maybe you should just put it up sale in here... :flute:

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Joker... although not a popular option, there are are owners that put the rear sling mount in the bullseye... the bullseye can be replaced... I know of one trusted member here that mounts the scew in the bullseye.. can't think of which one though... front mount to the mag tube...

as far a scopes, Williams makes a side mount that screws to the two side mount peep sight screws and requires one additional hole to be D&T'd in the side of the reciever... less intrusive and keeps the waffle top clean... found the Williams on Midways site...

I'm the sort to keep the classics classic.. but as others have said, the rifle is yours to customize to your liking... I have modified my '75 beyond what some might like, but I like it just fine...

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The sling in the bullseye is a good solution as you can keep the thing and replace it later. They make two different studs for the Marlin. One has a 10-32 screw built in that replaces the magazine screw in a half mag and the others are split rings that fit over the magazine. I put tape inside the split rings to give a better grip. Neither require any serious modification. I do not hunt with a rifle without a sling and even install them on my shotguns. I agree with the other comments in that if you do not want to modify the rifle get one you can.

DEP

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am thinking a leather butt cuff with a loop on the right side, middle to hook a sling to. Or an attached leather sling (still on the side) with a thong or loop to tie to the barrel.This would allow carry muzzle down, flat across your back.
Or for the front, change the fore end cap to one with a stud.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you don't want to drill it in the bulls eye you could use a sling for a muzzle loader and a magazine tube band. That would eliminate any holes to be drilled. I use this set up on my Zane Grey in deer season then take it off after season ends. Does not look that bad to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
never thought of that, I'm going to keep it now, I have the wood off of it right now refininshing it. I had to stop a bit because I injured my left hand with a sander, tore the skin off my left hand sanding a new shelf for my gun safe. I bought some finish for it already, think its called Danish Oil. Should come out nice, had a friend reccomend it who has done a few M14's (Maybe 150 or so) so I'm going to try it. I got frustrated with it because I have the rifle and want to shoot it but the guy I bought it from kinda mis-stated the shape it was in. It had some surface rust but no pits, 0000 and CLP took it off and it was missing the bottom plate screw, and the wood was pretty dinged up but I expected some wear, I have bought 100-150 guns from the same dealer in the past and he's always been square with me. I'm refinishing the stock because I thought it had a little too much Character and I wanted a nice lever to bring to camp this year, we all get together once a year for a camping/shooting/ Good eating trip. Its usually just 4 of us Wounded Vets and a few thousand acres. We ride atv's, shoot, hunt a few hogs for food and camp. Its a no stress kinda thing, biggest rule is BS from home and Cell's are turned off. We got the Idea from the Shootists, we bring a rifle, a single action, a double action, a shotgun and a bow. a lot of I bet you cant hit that and shooting clays.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I just redid a waffel top from 1951 and had 1/2 your problem. The stock was already drilled but the end cap wasn't. It had a tube mounted sling swivel. I took the screw out of the tube mount and drilled and tapped the end cap and mounted the sling swivel. It looks original to me. The swivels are the oval shaped kind that a military sling mounts on. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Or just pickup a "bayou sling", unless you plan on the butt cuff! :)
I like the look of that, I'll have to make myself one!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Wish I had the skill....but, it was this or a leather cuff....just haven't gotten around to having one made yet...I haven't shot this particular rifle in a while and the sling fits it so...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts