Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I received the Mountie back after four weeks at the gunsmith.
When he called to tell me it was ready to pick up, he stated that it “works great” and that many parts were replaced. So you could imagine that I was like ok, this is good news. Even though I had to spend the dough ($185) in the end I just wanted the rifle to run without hiccups as the rifle was a significant investment already.
So I took it out this weekend with high hopes.
First the positive, it’s better than it was.
It does cycle for the most part and is vary accurate.
But...
It’s still hangs up on the feed occasionally and sometimes the lever is vary stiff (almost stuck) on extraction. Also at times the empty casing comes extracts with authority and sometimes not.
That said, the gunsmith never did say what parts were replaced and to my fault did not ask. I guess I am one to trust a professional as I am not a gunsmith by any stretch. Just want it to work.
I have read all the accolades of the model 39a and believe them to be true.
Do any you know of a reputable gunsmith that knows these rifles?
I am willing to spend the dollars to make this thing go.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I do not really understand. You either have a incompetent Gunsmith, a crooked one or both. I am going to say both. Why did he not give you a bill of what he replaced? Did he even say what he did in addition to the parts replaced?

If someone charged me 185.00 and returned a Firearm that still did not work. He would have some explaining to do and Money to be refunded.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not all gunsmiths are competent or honest. What could possible be broken having set for most of its life? What parts broke? Did he show you the broken parts? I hope you had done your homework to know what the parts are and how it cycles. Personally, I'd be back there demanding back my money. This is not a Cinderella ending.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So..
I listened to the voicemail again that the gunsmith left when he was ready for me to pick up.
He said...
“Your marlin 39 is ready, I have the mechanical items taken care of for the feed issue,there were a number of them”
I misunderstood, apparently he did not replace any parts.
At pick up, I remember him saying that he cleaned the tubes (inner and outer mag tube) made some adjustments and polished the entrance of the chamber as the rounds were having trouble turning/tipping in.
That said, I have used this guy before for some small work. Mounting scopes and a Skinner sight.
They are not overly friendly, vary much about them. I am just not into going back and have to wrestle with the guy about a refund and at this point have no confidence in him touching this piece again

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sounds to me like it just needed a good serious cleaning. And may still need some cleaning. I have 5 or 6 39's that got shot regularly and don't recall having any reoccurring problems, maybe on a particular cheap round but never regularly.

You can't compare the 39 with a Winny 9244. The 39 will never be as smooth due to the tighter tolerances in the 39. My 9244 is "Smooth" but feels "sloppy" compared to my 39's.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts