Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Marlin fans, my first post
Guess I am looking for some hope here.
I little back ground first, started collecting guns about a two years ago and have an affection for lever guns and like to plink on the weekends. We have a nice little 50 yard range set up at the in-laws place. Vary fortunate and privileged to do this every weekend. I have acquired some vary nice Winchester (miroku) , Rossi, Browning and Winchester New Haven rifles the in 44mag, 357 mag and 22 calibers.
My favorite are the 22’s, quiet and cheaper to shoot. I love the Winchester 9422’s in which I have three. Vary smooth and vary accurate.
Ok enough of that, now my dilemma..
Been searching for a Mountie, finally purchased a 1967 on Gun broker. Paid top dollar and the condition is high as well as my hopes.
Looking at this rifle you would think it is about as good as it gets. Not fired much if at all, although the action is a bit rough. Especially compared to my 9422,s
Turns out that it has been sitting In a safe all these years and was vary difficult to separate. The inside of the receiver was caked with old grease and sludge. Nasty!
So I cleaned it up as best as I could and tried to cycle a few rounds
It was a no go, failure to feed rounds
The lifter (not sure if that’s what you call it) goes beside the round on its way up to chamber and jams. Vary disappointed
It’s at the gunsmith now. He said that these rifles can be touchy and is hoping he can figure it out.
Any comments appreciated
Lesson on my part..
Sometimes a gun that is perfect on the outside my not be on the inside
Especially if it’s been sitting in a safe all it’s life

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Welcome from Michigan. Hope things work out with your rifle.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Welcome from Idaho!
The Mountie is about my favorite rifle!
I'm sure that setting around for 53 years not being used was likely the problem.
Keep them clean & lightly oiled, they run very well. Then put a peep sight on it & hit pretty small targets!

·
Registered
445 Posts
These Mounties are really nice rifles. Sounds like yours needs a deep and thorough cleaning. It should then work like a charm.
Welcome from Georgia. I completely agree that a deep and thorough cleaning is needed, especially around the lift area. You'll love it !

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome from central ND - good luck with a fix. I'd agree on the cleaning process first. . .

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
My 60 something Golden is one of the finest rifles I own. I head hunt doves with it. With peep sights. Good luck with yours and welcome form the beautiful Ouachita mountains of Arkansas.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,934 Posts
If the internals are all mucked up from need of cleaningb hardened lube and greaseyou likely will be very happy.

AC

·
Registered
29,515 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.
My 1946 Marlin 39A shoots just as good as my 1964 Marlin 39A. Hope you get yours straighten out.

ca'jun56

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Looking forward to a picture of it when it gets back to you. I'm pretty sure it's gummed up too. Oh, by the way, you can't always just lever a round leisurely, they will hang up. Rack it like you're in a hurry and they work a lot better.

Congratulation on the rifle and your new hobby, and welcome to MO from Kentucky!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Welcome to MO from SW Ohio.

I'll throw in with everyone who loves their model 39's. Shouldn't be anything wrong with your rifle since it's barely been shot at all.

After a thorough cleaning inside the receiver, clean the magazine tube and follower also. The action will slick up with use, or just cycle it while watching TV for 500-1000 throws. This can also happen at the range, while you put about 1000 rounds down range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the warm welcomes and encouragement!
It will be four to six weeks says the gunsmith. Really hoping for the best and will report back with photos.
It really is in remarkable condition for its age

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. It is a very nice looking 39, pristine. Your gunsmith should be able to get her
Cleaned up and cycling OK. The beauity of buying an older , used Marlin is that the actions are nicely slicked up and broken in by years of use. If yours sat in a safe most of its life, you have to be the one to break it in.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out,

·
Premium Member
10,720 Posts
Nice looking Mountie. Not sure why it would take the Smith that long unless they are backed up. There are youtube that show you how to take the rifle completely apart so everything can be cleaned and then lightly oiled. Looks great and should be a easy fix.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new rifle! I'm sure it'll work like a champ when you get it back.

Reactions: Ret_Eng
1 - 20 of 27 Posts