Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Waiting on the arrival of my "new" 2005 1895. First lever-action. Found a used Leupold VX-R at a great price. Bought the XS Lever Rail and Ghost Sights. Now, looking for advice on how best to attach the scope? Leaning towards quick detach (QD), if they stay true. Also, saw a recommendation on the forum for Zee Rings, but these are not QD. Thanks in advance for sharing your recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
12,202 Posts
I have QD rings on several guns and love them for a gun that has iron sights. It is nice to be able to take the scope off without tools and it only takes a few seconds. FWIW I have Leupold and Warne rings and prefer the Leupold rings hands-down. The Warne rings work fine but the split design makes setting them up a pain.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've got a set of the Warne QD rings and find that they hold zero just fine I've used Leupold QRW also and found them to be of good quality. A little spendy though.

Reactions: LovemySBL

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I have QD rings on several guns and love them for a gun that has iron sights. It is nice to be able to take the scope off without tools and it only takes a few seconds. FWIW I have Leupold and Warne rings and prefer the Leupold rings hands-down. The Warne rings work fine but the split design makes setting them up a pain.
^^^^This! 100%

Warner rings are great once they’re set up...but are a pain to set up.

But I also prefer QD rings.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I have Leupold QD rings on my Marlins. Easy set-up and if you want to use the iron sights just release them take the scope off. If you need it back on just put it in the same spot and you never lose your POI. These are hands down great rings.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The scope I bought is https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-r-1-5-5x33mm-scout. Looking hardest at the QRW 30mm low mounts, the description indicates a height of .82 inches. Unlike the scopes, the website specifications on their mounts doesn't have any lines to indicate what that height applies to. I'm assuming (?) that it's the height that the scope is raised above the rail when mounted. Doing the math, this would mean that the scope should sit 8 mm over the rail. I'm guessing that that's fine given the effective range of the 1895 (200 yards for me). However, if I'm missing something, I'd appreciate hearing it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bringing this to closure ... Just spoke with a Leupold tech and learned that the way that they measure scope mount height is from the top of the picatinny rail to the center of the scope. Evidently, every manufacturer has their own approach to this measurement. So, with that scout scope, the QRW 30 mm low will be too tight. He recommended going with the mediums.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Are you trying to mount the scope over a peep or rear sight? If so you also want to take that into consideration.

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are you trying to mount the scope over a peep or rear sight? If so you also want to take that into consideration.
Being a scout scope I'm guessing he's looking to mount it forward of the peep. I've got the very same scope mounted on an SBL and it's forward of the rear peep

1 - 20 of 21 Posts