Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 1894 and was just wondering what the most accurate hunting ammo is in most of your opinions. Mine seems to be very accurate with a cast bullet loading, but in switching to jacketed bullets in either 44 special and especially magnum loadings that the accuracy falls off I believe due to the microgroove rifling on these guns. Any input from my fellow owners will be greatly appreciated. I want this primarily for deer and hog hunting.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Rem 240 gr was not bad in mine.. Winchester also did good.. I never tried Federal in the 44 but it's sure good in my 30-30 even the less expensive blue box shoots awesome

·
Registered
415 Posts
240gr. XTP or Sierra with a medium load of 296 in RP 44 Mag. cases and WLP primed. This has shot amazingly well from my 1894SS.
Guzziac.
Richard P.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The most accurate ? that's easy ..... the ammo that I load for the rifle . Factory stuff doesn't do the rifle justice . The best help for my rifle was sizing the bullets to .433" and groups shrank by a huge amount .

Jack

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Jack Stanley said:
The most accurate ? that's easy ..... the ammo that I load for the rifle . Factory stuff doesn't do the rifle justice . The best help for my rifle was sizing the bullets to .433" and groups shrank by a huge amount .

Jack
+1, I only reload. ;)

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Here is one of my reloads for one of my 45-70's, Lee 500 grain FN with Lyman #2 Paper Patched Bullet .461 diameter loaded with IMR3031 at 1420FPS. 100 yards from a bench. After zero at top right I dropped a bit and to the left and ran out of ammunition, I only had seven. ;D All bullets were +/- 1 grain in weight. ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I know this may me hard to believe but in my 1894fg 41mag...I've not yet found any load factory or even carefully prepared handloads that has been able to outshoot the 210gr Federal Fusions...they are fast and deadly accurate and reasonably priced..the big hog i hammered with it a few months back dropped like it was hit with a brick and the terminal performance was terrific...two big holes one in and a bigger one out...I'm thinking its going to take a very big tuff animal before I ever get to recover a slug....right now the 41mag is by far my favorite because its so unfussy and consistant ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts